Text Layout

Jump to solution
09-09-2021 01:23 PM
ArnieWaddell1
New Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 2.8

I have text in a layout and I am panning, zooming in and out, and want the text to remain fixed to the location I originally place it in the layout.  How is the accomplished.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@ArnieWaddell1  so you need the labels inside the map frame. Not the layout frame. If you don't want to label point feature layers, then use the Map Notes tools to add text and symbols. Do this in the data frame, not the layout

David
..Maps with no limits..

View solution in original post

11 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@ArnieWaddell1 can you elaborate on what your issue is? If you have text added to a layout and are panning and zooming around the layout view, the text should stay fixed and woudl shift and scale as you pan and zoom. 

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
ArnieWaddell1
New Contributor III

If you click the fixed zoom in or out the text that you have placed does not stay in the place that it was originally. I want it locked to the location I originally place it even when I zoom, pan, etc.

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

can you provide screenshots?

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Do you mean you want the text to "float", i.e., not move with the page, but stay fixed in the screen itself?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ArnieWaddell1
New Contributor III

Yes, I want it to remain fixed not move.  The Tillage Experiment text has to stay in their correct location in the image.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Based on your screenshots, you should be adding these text elements to the map, not the layout. Have you looked at using a Graphics Layer in your map? This would allow you to drop text and points, etc., to your map. This ties your text to their place on the map.

The text size will scale up and down to always display at the font size you specify, but will anchor to the point you placed it. If you want the text to scale with the map (smaller as you zoom out), you'll need to establish a Reference Scale. Again, this is done on the map, not the layout.

jcarlson_0-1631222059632.png

Adding the text to the layout ties them to their position on the page, and ignore the map's scale and extent entirely.

Taking things a step further, you might consider using annotations. I've always found them to be more trouble than they're worth, but if you really want scale-specific, fixed text, they're the way to go.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ArnieWaddell1
New Contributor III

Yes, I am using ArcGIS Pro which in map mode adding text is not the same as ArcMap so I have avoided it.   I thought, there might be a way in Layout view that it could be fixed but I guess not.   I will instead use the new map notes in ArcGIS Pro to add text to my map which is a bit of a pain compared to the old method of graphics text in ArcMap.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ArnieWaddell1
New Contributor III

These are the layout pics of the original location of my text and as I zoom in, it changes.  I want it to remain in the same location as I zoom in while in the layout.

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@ArnieWaddell1  so you need the labels inside the map frame. Not the layout frame. If you don't want to label point feature layers, then use the Map Notes tools to add text and symbols. Do this in the data frame, not the layout

David
..Maps with no limits..