Select to view content in your preferred language

Taking a Map Offline - License Level Required?

Jump to solution
01-30-2018 01:13 AM
FinnianO_Connor
Occasional Contributor II

To use the functionality of taking a map offline (Take a map offline—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop) what license level do you need? Level 1 or Level 2?

Thanks,

Finnian 

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

A level 2 named user is required for using ArcGIS Pro. ArcGIS Pro cannot be assigned to a named user of level 1.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
shan_sarkar
Regular Contributor

You are referring to the Level available in Portal for ArcGIS or ArcGIS Online? Either way Level 2 is what you are looking for.

ArcGIS Online :

Levels, roles, and privileges—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Portal for ArcGIS :

Levels, roles, and privileges—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
FinnianO_Connor

I don't have any Level 1 accounts to test with, however I do have a Level 2 Viewer Role account, which I believe is equivalent to a Level 1 account. Someone would have to confirm this though. Signing in to ArcGIS Pro with this Level 2 Viewer role account I am able to open a web map and take it offline. Obviously no editing is possible, however this functionality is exactly what I want. Perhaps somebody can confirm if this is also possible with an actual Level 1 account..

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Regular Contributor

Finnian, 

Can you check and confirm your role as Level 2 is User, Publisher or Administrator?

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
FinnianO_Connor

The account is a member of the default Viewer role

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Regular Contributor

Get the role changed to at least Publisher/Editor for the offline tasks that should work for you. 

~Shan
0 Kudos
FinnianO_Connor

For visualizing the data I have been able to download the map to take the data offline using the Level 2 Viewer role - no need to change it to Publisher. I don't need any edit functionality. 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

The required level for the named user depends of the App you will be using in the field. If you are going to use Collector for instance you will need level 2 regardless of if you are going to edit the data or just visualize it. With level 1 you can use Explorer for ArcGIS (which supports working with offline data): FAQs—Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

FinnianO_Connor

Where does ArcGIS Pro fall for level of license required? Can a Level 1 account download a map to take content offline simply for visualization?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

If you are using Pro, you are a level 2 named user. You can prepare the data for offline usage (Make offline maps—Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS ). A level 1 named user will be able to take offline content into the field for visualization using the Explorer for ArcGIS App:

Can I work offline?

Yes, Explorer supports working offline with mobile map packages (MMPKs). Download an MMPK through the app and you can open and work with it in the same way as any other map. Look for the download icon Download on the map card when browsing for maps to find maps that can be taken offline. You can find maps you can use offline in the On Device category when browsing for maps, or look for the On device icon

Source: FAQs—Explorer for ArcGIS | ArcGIS