Select to view content in your preferred language

Table join based on distance information

Jump to solution
10-03-2021 11:51 PM
Anne-LaureZufferey
Emerging Contributor

Hello Everybody,

I try to join a table with flow speed information of a river. The only geographical info that I have in this table is the distance from the spring of the river.

I have a shapefile with the line of the river.

Is that possible to do a joint between the table and the shapefile line based on the distance?

Thanks in advance

Anne

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anne-LaureZufferey
Emerging Contributor

Hello David,

Also, it didn't have worked with Route Event because I have too much points. It wass limited to 1000 points and I had more.

But I have found a way:

1. Transform the river initialy in multiline to a single line.

2. Create points ont the line evey 1meter

3. Recuperate the field OBJECTID and creating a new one named Distance. Objectid did a numerotation every 1m, also it corresond to the distance of my table.

4. Convert from kilometer to meter the Excel table of speed

5. Do the join between the shapfiles of the points every 1m and the table of speed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@Anne-LaureZufferey im assuming your table has lat/lon or XY coordinates from which to generate either a point feature class or XY event layer? If so, you can then think about how you want to assign the attirbute data to the polyline. Im assuming each segment of polyline has an associated point that it's closest to, and you want to assign the values from the point to the segment?

In which case, Spatial Join can be used to join based on closest point to each feature

Brooks_SummitGeo_0-1633338675507.png

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
Anne-LaureZufferey
Emerging Contributor

Hello Brooks,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I have think about that but no, my table has only distance along a river from point 0 to 121 km and speed info at different distances from point 0 to point 121. I have join a printscreen. I have a line of the river.

The only attribut with which I could do the join is this distance, but how to ad to my river shapefile line the distance info? I have thought to split it 1m to 1m and joint distance attribut to each segment and try to do a join with the distance info but I don't know how to do it...

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@Anne-LaureZufferey ah i see. In which case, I think you will need the Make Route Event Layer toolset 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/linear-referencing/make-route-event-layer.ht... 

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
Anne-LaureZufferey
Emerging Contributor

Hello David,

Also, it didn't have worked with Route Event because I have too much points. It wass limited to 1000 points and I had more.

But I have found a way:

1. Transform the river initialy in multiline to a single line.

2. Create points ont the line evey 1meter

3. Recuperate the field OBJECTID and creating a new one named Distance. Objectid did a numerotation every 1m, also it corresond to the distance of my table.

4. Convert from kilometer to meter the Excel table of speed

5. Do the join between the shapfiles of the points every 1m and the table of speed.

0 Kudos