Select to view content in your preferred language

Symbology Marker Symbols

03-08-2023 01:33 PM
Labels (1)
DavidMizenko
New Contributor

I am trying to modify a Shape Marker representing trees (see attached) but the symbol is locked--and I don't know how to unlock it.

I thought I'd try adding a layer with the same marker, but I can't find where I got the shape from in the styles files.

So two questions. How do I unlock the symbol? And is there a way to trace back where I got it from?

David

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

You can't unlock it because it's a raster image, specifically it's "trees17.bmp" as originally provided with Arcmap. In other words, it's one of the standard picture styles that ESRI uses in its symbology. If you want to tweak it, you'll need to make a copy of the image, make whatever adjustments you'd like in an image editing program (Photoshop, Affinity, Fastone Image Viewer, etc) and then bring it back into Pro as one of your symbol layers.

I'm still avoiding Pro as much as possible so I'm not sure where these files are stored within a Pro installation but for Arcmap, they are found in the <base installation folder>/Styles/Pictures subfolder.

0 Kudos
DavidMizenko
New Contributor
Hi Steve,

Thank you! The computer I created the project on has ArcMap, so that
answers where I pulled the image from. Much appreciated!
0 Kudos