Select to view content in your preferred language

Symbolize Legend Patch as Hexagon shape

Jump to solution
07-17-2024 07:42 AM
JimmyB1982
Emerging Contributor

On my legend in the Layout view how can I symbolize the square patch as a hexagon to match the layer shape using Graduated colors? I can change the symbology to Graduated Symbols and change the symbol shape that way, but then of course they are graduated in size. Even when I change them all to be the same point size they change based on the map scale, so I don't want graduated symbols. I need graduated colors, but I can't seem to change the patch shape using that method.  I normally wouldn't care if the legend shape matched the data shape, but I will be overlaying some more data that is in a square grid instead of a hex grid, which will make it confusing. 

This seems like making the legend patch size should be a simple thing, but I've spent about 3 hours trying to figure this out with settings and just can't. Alternatively I can export this as an SVG and bring it into an image editing program, but I have several of these to produce and simply don't want to have to do that given the time constraints.

example.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BarryNorthey
Frequent Contributor

This might do it:

• Open the Symbology pane for the layer.
  • ClickBarryNorthey_2-1721228190871.png

• Pick a patch shape

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BarryNorthey
Frequent Contributor

This might do it:

• Open the Symbology pane for the layer.
  • ClickBarryNorthey_2-1721228190871.png

• Pick a patch shape
JimmyB1982
Emerging Contributor

I'm a bit embarrassed it was that simple and I couldn't find it 😅😂 Thanks!

0 Kudos
Dan_DMR
Occasional Contributor

To be fair it's not where you'd expect it to be

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos