Select to view content in your preferred language

Summary Statistics Case field vs. Statistics field

Jump to solution
11-02-2022 03:03 PM
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Frequent Contributor

Hello, As many of you already know, and I'm finding out, the 'Summarize' field operation (Summary Statistics geoprocessing tool) is different in ArcGIS Pro than it was in ArcMap. 

I understand specifying a Case field, and I understand specifying a Statistics field.

But, what ALL I WANT is the Count (or Frequency). So when I'm forced to choose the Count Statistic, the result is two columns; one for Count and one for Frequency, and they are the same! It feels redundant.

...Why both?

Thanks, CCE

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

You are welcome! No problem. Good luck with your geoprocessing 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Great question for which I don't have an answer...yet!  I'm running ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2 and ArcMap 10.8.2 and my Summary Statistics outputs are identical with Frequency and Count.  I see what you're saying about redundancy with this scenario.  In other scenarios say POPULATION and a SUM based upon TYPE of community, the COUNT field is not present but FREQUENCY is as well as the SUM_POPULATION.  You mentioned that ArcMap was different.  How so and what release of ArcMap are you using?

count.JPGcount2.JPG

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for checking into this, Robert. I haven't used ArcMap in several year, but I do recall that choosing 'Statistics' was "Optional". So if you skipped Statistics, then the result was only the 'Summary' with a COUNT column. ...This made more sense to me because Users don't always want 'Statistics' for their 'Summary'.

So now you're forced to with Pro, and if you choose the COUNT Statistic (because you really just want a Summary), the result seems weird to me with redundant columns. ...So now that makes me wonder if these two columns (FREQUENCY and COUNT) would ever be different? 

DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Craig_Eissler_Iceman,

It seems all you need to use is the Frequency tool with your desired frequency field.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/analysis/frequency.htm

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Dan. Yes, you're right, I forgot that the Frequency tool will do that.

I guess I'm too fixated on why the Summarize (Summary Statistics) tool changed with ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
Matt-Huser
Frequent Contributor

I agree with you @Craig_Eissler_Iceman , I'd like to understand why a change was needed... The majority of my scenarios when I used Summarize in the past (ArcMap) was when I did NOT need Statistics, just a simple Count.  The efficiency of using the Summarize tool is unmatched because it is quickly accessed by right clicking the field name rather than searching for a geoprocessing tool.  Would ESRI consider removing the requirement for a Statistic value?

0 Kudos
Matt-Huser
Frequent Contributor

I actually found a faster alternative for my workflow needs.  I don't actually need an output file.  The Data Engineering toolset allows me to get quick counts without running any geoprocessing tool.  I recommend checking it out if you haven't already!

0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor

You are welcome! No problem. Good luck with your geoprocessing 🙂

0 Kudos