Summarize Within: Two Input Layers?

Jump to solution
10-02-2017 01:49 PM
MarcusVowell
New Contributor II

I have a polygon layer of the states as well as a polygon layer of block groups tiered by population density.  I also have a polyline layer representing fiber optic cable.  What I'm wanting to produce is a summary report that tells me how much cable is in each population density tier in each state.  This would seem to necessitate two input polygon layers (state, block groups), which I don't believe is possible with the Summary Within function.

I suppose I could append a field onto the polyline layer that contained the state information, and then just summarize by block group from there, but that seems like an inelegant and excessively manual way of getting these results.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to how this might be done more efficiently?

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is going to be a 2 step process since you have a polyline layer mixed with 2 polygon layers.  Because of this, you would only be able to get a polyline layer if you combined (via many of the overlay tools).  So basically what you want is a union of all 3 layers... which isn't possible, so union or intersect the two polygons, then summarize the polylines with respect to the resultant

addendum

you can also do spatial joins of various forms, save the resultant, then summarize as well.  Whatever... still 2 step if you want a polygon as the resultant and a table for join-back

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is going to be a 2 step process since you have a polyline layer mixed with 2 polygon layers.  Because of this, you would only be able to get a polyline layer if you combined (via many of the overlay tools).  So basically what you want is a union of all 3 layers... which isn't possible, so union or intersect the two polygons, then summarize the polylines with respect to the resultant

addendum

you can also do spatial joins of various forms, save the resultant, then summarize as well.  Whatever... still 2 step if you want a polygon as the resultant and a table for join-back

MarcusVowell
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for this.  This is exactly what I did and I got the result I was looking for.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

glad it worked

0 Kudos