Suitability Modeler vs. Vector Intersect Union

11-19-2023 11:21 AM
ecoLugist
New Contributor II

Hi all, What would be the benefit of using the suitability modeler/species distribution modeling tools over the classic intersect/union of vector data for a species (using layers such as land cover, proximity to water, etc.)?

Currently, my company uses the latter method, but I am wondering how the modeling can be applied/if it is more efficient or accurate? Thanks! 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

One can weigh criteria during the model process

The general suitability modeling workflow—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

the intersect/union of vectors doesn't

I would examine your potential workflows versus what the modeler can offer

... sort of retired...
ecoLugist
New Contributor II

Hi all, What would be the benefit of using the suitability modeler/species distribution modeling tools over the classic intersect/union of vector data for a species (using layers such as land cover, proximity to water, etc.)? Currently, my company uses the latter method, but I am wondering how the modeling can be applied/if it is more efficient or accurate? Thanks!

0 Kudos
EdwardGause
New Contributor III
In my mind the benefit of using Suitability Modeler is that you get a continuous surface normally over the entire study area showing you variations over that surface area, however at my job we wanted to do the concept of the suitability modeler without using raster data and only using vector data. We built a Model Builder project that mimicked the Map Algebra using in suitability Modeler but with the vector data. So, you only mention Unions and Intersections, well what we did was if items intersected, then we would add the attribute values for those that intersected (you don't have to add, you can use any math formula on your attributes that make sense). The other thing you need to do to mimic Suitability Modeler is make sure all your attributes are in the same scale otherwise one variable will over power another variable if there numerical scales are drastically different. So, you can use Normalization or z-Scale Standardization of the variable to get them in the same scale. Lastly, the beauty of doing this with vector data and with your own model is that you can add as many columns to your dataset for attributes instead of having to create a raster for each variable to do the map algebra because in model builder you can use values from any of the columns in your math formula making the process much simpler.

We personally used this Suitability Modeler concept with your vector data to prioritize where we go next with our engineering buildouts based on a lot of variables like Route Miles in a Community, number of households in a Community, which communities has the closest fiber to them, how many businesses would we pass on the way to build out the community, etc.... But it boils down to we only do the math of the suitability if we have an intersections (or some other type of spatial join) of the vector data. So, I believe you could do your project with Vector data if that is what you have and get similar concept of what Suitability Modeler accomplishes, only you end up with Vector data in the end instead of a raster image. So, your different vectors would have a single discrete value that you could map that is the result of your math operators you applied meaning the entire polygon or line would have the same value, where as in Suitability Modeler, that area of a polygon would have varying values of a continuous surface.

Robert “Edward” Gause, GISP | Director of Information Services | HTC | p 843-369-8483 | www.htcinc.net | This is life. Connet with it.
0 Kudos
EdwardGause
New Contributor III

The engineer I helped with the Vector Model Builder tool to mimic Suitability Modeler with Vector data is supposed to present at ESRI UC 2024 for one of the Telecom Presentations. Not sure the time slot just yet, but most likely it will be one of 3 presentations for the session time, so it will take a little research to figure out the class, luckily there are not a lot of Telecom classes at UC. We are from HTC (Horry Telephone Coop.).

Robert “Edward” Gause, GISP | Director of Information Services | HTC | p 843-369-8483 | www.htcinc.net | This is life. Connet with it.
0 Kudos
ecoLugist
New Contributor II

Thank you! hopefully it is recorded - i'll be on the lookout for it.

0 Kudos
ecoLugist
New Contributor II

Hi all, What would be the benefit of using the suitability modeler/species distribution modeling tools over the classic intersect/union of vector data for a species (using layers such as land cover, proximity to water, etc.)?

Currently, my company uses the latter method, but I am wondering how the modeling can be applied/if it is more efficient or accurate? Thanks! 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

post in one Community space... duplicates get merged into one

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ecoLugist
New Contributor II

Hi, Dan! Thanks for the tip. I didn’t know it worked like that with cross-posting. Appreciate the comment as well about the weights. 

0 Kudos