storing data on an external thumb drive

11-22-2022 05:29 PM
AriadneReynolds
New Contributor II

Hello,

Can I store all of the data files for a project on an external thumb drive? As long as I have it in my computer while I am running ArcGIS? thank you!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is best to use a thumb drive to backup your local folders.

If you keep all your data in paths relative to the aprx then you can copy the folder when you are done working, and move it to another machine without issue.  If you have data in other locations, then you will have file path issues.

Don't try to shortcut using a thumb drive as your main storage/project location.  I have seen too many instances where that has not gone well. 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Thomas_van_Offeren
New Contributor II

maybe you can try: Share > Project > [Package Project] > Start packaging: Save package to file.

Save the ppkx file to your thumb drive.

or, when you start a new project, choose your thumb-drive as Location.

If Im not mistaken, then all the files will be stored there. But I'vnt tried it myself yet.

0 Kudos
AriadneReynolds
New Contributor II

Thank you for your responses! When I am trying to run certain tools, its taking forever and then I get an error meesage saying there is not enough temporary storage on my computer. So I'm trying to avoid that issue and not take up space on my computer.... But I'm not sure if that is the same type of storage

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

check your temp folders and empty your Recycle bin is usually a good start.  And in Pro, go to the Project menu choice and empty your Display Cache.  It could also be packed

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos