non-earth projection for jpeg

11-22-2022 09:48 PM
CraigWestell
New Contributor

Hey all, I want to import a jpeg (a photo of a rock outcrop) into ArcGIS Pro and georeference the image as a non-earth projection so I can digitise aspects of the outcrop and be able to assign attributes and conduct spatial joins etc. I would probably use the pixel dimensions of the photo to reference the image and maintain relative scale. This is a simple process in MapInfo but I can't find a relevant tutorial for ArcGIS Pro, or know whether its even possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Craig. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If by non-Earth you mean local, see the links in this thread

How to create arbitrary coordinate system in ArcGI... - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
CraigWestell
New Contributor

Thanks for coming out of retirement Dan, and for the reply. I have tried this approach (Local projection) and its not what I'm really aiming at. The jpeg image will have no reference to projected/geographic space. It will be an image of a vertical cliff face. I want to create a Cartesian reference system based on the pixel location in the image (e.g. if the image is 100x100 pixels, 0,0 is bottom left - 100,100 is top right). I can then trace sedimentary units and other features and assign attributes to each feature and undertake other GIS odds n sods to it. Again, I've done this in MapInfo with ease, but I'm having to use ArcGIS Pro in this instance. 

Cheers

C

0 Kudos