Sticky Cursor

Jump to solution
03-16-2017 09:34 AM
NathanKoski1
New Contributor II

I keep having an nearly ever present issue where my cursor gets stuck on a specif tool and no matter what I do it does not switch to what I want it to be. It is most commonly the rotate camera tool, but often just the pan tool. It makes using ArcPro for editing maps impossible to work on. 

Before you ask:

• My keyboard keys are not stuck
  • If I hold down the control key, I can sometimes get it to switch to the tool I want while the key is held down.
  • Hitting no other key fixes the issue.
  • It most commonly seems to happen if I have to switch to say google chrome, and switch back to arcpro
  • Restarting my whole computer will sometimes fix the issue. 
  • The issue comes and goes as it wants, I can't do anything to stop it.
27 Replies
johnmosheim1
New Contributor III

I have what looks to be a similar issue with the select tool. Once I press for xample select by attributes rectangle, there is (was) no way to get the cursor out of select mode. I tried the C, X, Z keys nothing happened, ESC, changing layers, etc. etc.

I went to the Explore icon in the Map ribbon and pressed Explore and the cursor got unstuck. The pan symbol returned to the map! (and pointer elsewhere)

0 Kudos
AdamKurowski
New Contributor II

Please see the WebRoot antivirus compatibility related threads. https://community.esri.com/thread/53112 

They seem similar.  There is a solution there to create an exception within WebRoot.

In our network environment, we would have to create a new work group to apply the exception within WebRoot.  So we looked for an alternative.   My IT staff discovered a work around that has created a stable environment for me while WebRoot antivirus is running without any alterations.  This solution may work for other and similar issues too.

The resolution was 
  1. Log out of all instances of ESRI ArcGIS and Pro
  2. Open Internet Explorer
  3. Tools > Compatibility View Settings
  4. Add arcgis.com

One caveat is that if you are an Internet Explorer user, I am not, you may at some point clear your browser history, cache, etc.  This may wipe out the Compatibility View Setting.  So check this if the problems return.

0 Kudos
ShaunDillon1
Occasional Contributor

I am also having this issue but we use McAfee antivirus.

My curser (?) also sometimes gets stuck on zooming in or out and it just keeps trying to zoom and I have to do a hard shutdown of "Pro"

AnaVilla2
New Contributor

I have the same problem, I tried everything and It's impossible... so let me know if you have a real solution.

SimerVirdi
New Contributor

I just had this problem and pushed ctrl + v and it fixed it, not sure why it but it worked for me.

0 Kudos
mrmark
by
Occasional Contributor

Curious why this thread was marked "Answered" when there is no actual answer.  Still happening with ArcGIS Pro 2.3.3. 

On 40 identical Windows 10 PCs (same hardware, same software image) it happens on different machines and different project almost every day. I've had inquiries from faculty and students in other locations across campus about this behavior. It also happens intermittently on our application virtualization server (Citrix), which is reset every night, and every time you run an application it is effectively a new install of Windows 10 anyway.

Most commonly it doesn't get "stuck" on the rotate view tool, it just turns into the rotate view tool, and the only way to reliably get back to work is to restart the machine. Sometimes just restarting ArcGIS Pro helps, but not usually. As others have said, restarting it generally starts up with the rotation tool (or whichever they have trouble with, Pan, etc.) whether it is a new blank project or opening an existing project.

An issue that effectively stops all work should be a top priority for fixing. 

A man's feet should be planted in his country, but his eyes should survey the world. - G. Santayana
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Mark,

What antivirus is running on the machines the experience this issue?

From this thread, https://community.esri.com/thread/53112, and notes on the bug, it is almost always Webroot.  My understanding is that this is not caused by code in our software (i.e. we're not able to fix it), so we'll need to update the status of that bug.  Let us know what antivirus is on those machines and I'd recommend contacting that vendor to report the issue and have them provide guidance on the correct settings to mark applications as exceptions.

0 Kudos
mrmark
by
Occasional Contributor

The only anti-virus is the Windows Defender built into Windows 10. The lab is closed access and gets reset to our base image every night. The Citrix Workspace is configured the same, except your "machine" will be recycled 30 minutes after you disconnect or immediately if you log off. 

A man's feet should be planted in his country, but his eyes should survey the world. - G. Santayana
0 Kudos
RobCopland
New Contributor

I have the same issue.

Dell laptop running Sophos antvirus.

Happens randomly, sometimes stuck on rotate, sometimes, pan, sometimes zoom in or out.

Sometime restarting Pro fixes it, other times I have to reboot the machine.

0 Kudos
RobCopland
New Contributor

I now notice that I am getting the same cursor sticking issue in ArcMap 10.7.1.

No such problems in QGIS.

0 Kudos