Sticky Cursor

Jump to solution
03-16-2017 09:34 AM
NathanKoski1
New Contributor II

I keep having an nearly ever present issue where my cursor gets stuck on a specif tool and no matter what I do it does not switch to what I want it to be. It is most commonly the rotate camera tool, but often just the pan tool. It makes using ArcPro for editing maps impossible to work on. 

Before you ask:

• My keyboard keys are not stuck
  • If I hold down the control key, I can sometimes get it to switch to the tool I want while the key is held down.
  • Hitting no other key fixes the issue.
  • It most commonly seems to happen if I have to switch to say google chrome, and switch back to arcpro
  • Restarting my whole computer will sometimes fix the issue. 
  • The issue comes and goes as it wants, I can't do anything to stop it.
27 Replies
RobCopland
New Contributor

I have found my problem seems to relate to the Chrome web browser. If I start my laptop and open ArcGIS Pro first it does not have the cursor issue. Soon as I open the web browser the cursor issue starts.

If I start up my laptop and open the web browser first and then open ArcGIS Pro the cursor issue is present. I then need to reboot the laptop to get the cursor issue to go away.

I tried Talsan's solution, but it does not work for me.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-yFo_UoWEJbkc
New Contributor III

I just encountered this problem (stuck on rotate tool) and came across this thread. What worked for me was doing a "Save as..." and simply renaming the project. I didn't even have to close and restart Pro. As soon as it saved as a new project, the tool was back to normal. 

For that reason, I'm skeptical about it being caused by the anti-virus thing. Instead, I wonder if it's related to leaving a project open for too long. I've been working on geocoding address lists at set intervals twice daily, and so I was leaving the project open for convenience. I did start noticing performance issues, so after a few days, I closed out the project and re-opened it, which did improve the performance, but I wonder if the .aprx file became corrupted and eventually caused the sticking cursor problem, especially since creating a "new" .aprx fixed the problem immediately.

Hope this offers some additional insight on addressing the underlying issue since it obviously hasn't been solved. 

0 Kudos
EugeneFaul
New Contributor

I have had this problem happen over and over.  I can not believe it has still not been fixed.  I may have a solution BUT I cant say for sure but it has been working for me.  I use a program called IPvanish  (VPN) and part of the program is a thing called Killswitch.  The purpose of Killswitch is to kill the internet if the VPN is disconnected for any reason.  I have been running the program letting Killswitch KILL my internet connection and poof ArcGIS Pro starts working correctly again.  I don't know if this will help anyone else but the constant restarting was killing me.  If this works for you please let me know.

MathesSilas
New Contributor II

Eugene-  Thanks for the tip!  My ArcGIS Pro 2.5.1 install (with both Webroot Secure Anywhere and Chrome running in the background) was stuck on the rotate tool just now until I read your post. I don't have Killswitch, but I was connected to our company VPN.  I disconnected from the VPN and, sure enough, the cursor immediately became unstuck.  I've reconnected to the VPN and it appears to still be unstuck.    

0 Kudos
Toon
by
New Contributor II

I'm having the same problem, and I don't use Webroot. No VPN either. I usually get stuck on the rotation cursor, and the map just keeps spinning until I kill ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
DaynaWill
New Contributor

Hey Toon - if you press C + V at the same time it should fix the issue (temporarily)!

Toon
by
New Contributor II

Thanks! I'll give it a try during the next 'death spiral'.   😄

BridgetEllis
New Contributor

Does anyone know what setting in Webroot needs to be turned off to keep it from interacting with ESRI software?  I am using ArcPro and similar problems (map zoom problems), account, and file corruption keeps occurring.  I did change my settings which solved all the issues...but now i know someone else who has the same problem and I forgot what I did.

0 Kudos