Sticky Cursor

Jump to solution
03-16-2017 09:34 AM
NathanKoski1
New Contributor II

I keep having an nearly ever present issue where my cursor gets stuck on a specif tool and no matter what I do it does not switch to what I want it to be. It is most commonly the rotate camera tool, but often just the pan tool. It makes using ArcPro for editing maps impossible to work on. 

Before you ask:

• My keyboard keys are not stuck
  • If I hold down the control key, I can sometimes get it to switch to the tool I want while the key is held down.
  • Hitting no other key fixes the issue.
  • It most commonly seems to happen if I have to switch to say google chrome, and switch back to arcpro
  • Restarting my whole computer will sometimes fix the issue. 
  • The issue comes and goes as it wants, I can't do anything to stop it.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricAnderson17
Occasional Contributor

The following defect could be related, it was logged specifically towards the Webroot antivirus:

BUG-000086476: The Zoom In, Zoom Out, and Pan tools from the toolba.. 

A possible workaround  is to Hit the C,X, or Z keys in ArcMap to free up the respective tool (C for the Pan tool, X for the Zoom Out tool, and Z for the Zoom In tool).

If you want to open a ticket with Support, we can investigate this more thoroughly and attach you to the defect if we confirm its related.

-Eric

View solution in original post

27 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If would rule out things in the following order, if possible

• try the project and workflow on a different machine
  • try a different project with the same workflow on the same
  • try different hardware
  • update drivers directly from the manufacturer and now windows

Is it possible to do any of the above, and if so, was there a difference in behaviour

NathanKoski1
New Contributor II

The workflow does not seem to matter. I have had the issue begin on startup of ArcPRO. It does still happen on a different machine in my office which uses different hardware. However, I do not have this issue on my home computer, at least that I have found.

I did try to update my drivers to newest version, and it didn't help. Though it seems to happen slightly less while I have my gmail in chrome closed. No idea why.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Chrome.... heard about it before causing disparate issues,  I use Edge mostly or IE11 at worse

anti-virus?  avg, kasp-somthing ... heard it before, similar thing, sometimes issues

firewall?   at work I presume... you may not have the ability to deal with it

network?  for data sources?

I never have had issues with windows 10, standalone, Mcafee, no firewall and definitely no network data or connections, on a high-end desktop.  Same for laptop... Surface book ditto for everything else.

The home thing, suggests that it is the work environment and the things you may not have control over.  Since I work in a large organization, there are the IT 'issues', however, we have the ability to say... no, do it this way... so we tend not to run into problems where IT dictates configurations downward, rather than needs driven upward.

NathanKoski1
New Contributor II

It could be the Anti-virus or perhaps chrome. I believe those two things are the ones me and my co-worker have in common. Thanks for you input. I wouldn't have thought about the anti-virus interfering. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Let us know if this was the issue, so you can close the thread

0 Kudos
LeahBowyer
New Contributor II

Any solution? I am having the same issue in desktop and Pro. We are looking into Webroot (antivirus) causing the issue, but as that is an agency wide software - it is possible that we cannot make that change.

https://community.esri.com/thread/53112

The above thread refers to the Webroot compatibility issue, but I'm experiencing multiple tools getting stuck like in this thread.

Thanks,

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

https://community.esri.com/search.jspa?q=Webroot sticks a lot in the search as well... you might want to troll the others as well.

0 Kudos
EricAnderson17
Occasional Contributor

The following defect could be related, it was logged specifically towards the Webroot antivirus:

BUG-000086476: The Zoom In, Zoom Out, and Pan tools from the toolba.. 

A possible workaround  is to Hit the C,X, or Z keys in ArcMap to free up the respective tool (C for the Pan tool, X for the Zoom Out tool, and Z for the Zoom In tool).

If you want to open a ticket with Support, we can investigate this more thoroughly and attach you to the defect if we confirm its related.

-Eric

LeahBowyer
New Contributor II

Thank you, Eric.

Unfortunately, our only proven method thus far has been to "Shut down Protection" from the Webroot icon in the system tray - after changing our Webroot policies to make this an option. We are aware of the key fixes, but in certain instances - specifically with the Rotate tool - our only option before was to restart ArcGIS Pro and hope for the best or completely reboot our system.

We originally created a case (#02099804) on 4/13/2018 regarding the rotate tool. From that ticket, "V" will sometimes be the "hotkey" to resume normal tool functions in ArcGIS Pro, but the issue still exists without a foolproof workaround. 

Hope this helps,

Leah