SSL Wrong Version error

Jump to solution
05-17-2021 11:20 AM
dgiersz_cuyahoga
Occasional Contributor

We have a proxy for all our web traffic and use the proxy_host/proxy_port parameters when connecting to AGOL from Notebooks in Pro. This worked fine until we upgraded to Pro 2.8 and we now receive SSL errors:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSLError                                  Traceback (most recent call last)
In  [3]:
Line 1:     gis = GIS(proxy_host='XXX.XXXXXXXX.XX', proxy_port=XXXX, verify_cert=False)

File C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py, in __init__:
Line 359:   raise e

File C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py, in __init__:
Line 343:   trust_env=kwargs.get("trust_env", None))

File C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_portalpy.py, in __init__:
Line 173:   self.get_properties(True)

File C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_portalpy.py, in get_properties:
Line 1138:  raise e

File C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_portalpy.py, in get_properties:
Line 1126:  resp = self.con.post(path, self._postdata(), ssl=True)

File C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_con\_connection.py, in post:
Line 690:   "Please set verify_cert=False due to encountered SSL error: %s" % err)

SSLError: Please set verify_cert=False due to encountered SSL error: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='www.arcgis.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /sharing/rest/portals/self (Caused by SSLError(SSLError(1, '[SSL: WRONG_VERSION_NUMBER] wrong version number (_ssl.c:1091)')))
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The URLs for both HTTP and HTTPS traffic are the same for our proxy.

Has anyone else encountered this?

#CLE #sloth
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OrrGvili
New Contributor III

with version 2.0.1 of the api
this method of using the proxy is the only one that working

# Usage Exmaple 9: Using a Proxy
proxy = {
'http': 'http://10.10.1.10:3128',
'https': 'http://10.10.1.10:1080',
}
gis = GIS(proxy=proxy)

we can move to arcgis pro 3 

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Bart-JanSchoenmakers
New Contributor III

Happened the same to me when upgrading to 2.8, didn't find any solution.

Would it be possible to define something in .condarc file? Downgrading to AGPRO 2.7 might help, until ESRI solves this problem. 

dgiersz_cuyahoga
Occasional Contributor

I did put our proxy in the .condarc file but it didn't help (other than conda could connect to the online repositories).

I've opened a support case with Esri, hopefully they can help.

Downgrading to 2.7 does work and we're also using AGOL Notebooks in the meantime.

#CLE #sloth
0 Kudos
AndreaRyffel1
New Contributor II

Was Esri able to solve the problem?

0 Kudos
dgiersz_cuyahoga
Occasional Contributor

I was told it was related to #BUG-000140216 and the only workaround is using ArcGIS Pro 2.7 or earlier. We also moved some of our stuff to AGOL Notebooks to get around the issue.

#CLE #sloth
AndreaRyffel1
New Contributor II

Thank you, that's good to know. Unfortunately we need to be able to connect from a local machine to AGOL (for automated backup tasks) so I guess we'll have to go back to 2.7 for now.

0 Kudos
MarkNordheim1
New Contributor

I have encounter the same problem. I don't have any solutions, but I wanted to post here as extra evidence that this needs to be addressed.

0 Kudos
OrrGvili
New Contributor III

someone found solution ? 

other then downgrade to 2.7? 

0 Kudos
AndreaRyffel1
New Contributor II

I have the same problem on two computers since installing 2.8. A solution other than reinstalling ArcGIS Pro 2.7 would be nice.

0 Kudos
dgiersz_cuyahoga
Occasional Contributor

I was just notified this bug has been updated to 'In Product Plan' so here's hoping it doesn't take too long.

#CLE #sloth
0 Kudos