SQL compability

02-18-2021 06:33 AM
SwerefTM
New Contributor III

I have during the latest years worked with geodatabases in SQL that has been setup by others. And they just worked.  Now I am doing some self studies and want to create my own sandbox with  a SQL server  localy.  Initially I will use the .SDE connection for storing and creating tables from FME and ArcGIS PRO.   Since the latest FME version and ArcGIS pro are 64bit compatible I dont need to use desktop and GP tool to store my data.  Thats why I in this issue leave desktop and catalog outside.  

Issue:

When I try to connect  to an existing server in ArcGIS PRO I get the message 
" failure to access the dbms server". 

This is what I have installed.

1. SQL express  (Succed to connect with Management studio)

2. ArcGIS PRO 2.7.1 

3. Microsoft_ODBC_Driver_17_SQL_Server_64bit_ (  have installed it but I am not sure If I have to run ODBC data source manager to add a sql server. Either the connection test failure)

So I am start to wonder if SQL express is compatible with arcGIS pro. Or maybe there is some documentation about the installation or compability I cant find. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From this statement:

When I try to connect to an existing database and table in ArcGIS PRO

It is unclear whether the connection to SQL Server works and the issue is accessing a table, or whether you can't connect to SQL Server at all.  Which one is it?

0 Kudos
SwerefTM
New Contributor III

I have edited the text. My question is only about the server. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

There are a few threads in the Geonet community you may want to chase down.  Here's one:

https://community.esri.com/t5/geodatabase-questions/arcgis-pro-and-local-sql-express-db/td-p/876825

That should just about do it....
SwerefTM
New Contributor III

ok, ,maybe I asked the question in the wrong sub category. 

0 Kudos