Split Tool on Branch Versioned Dataset with Named Versions Problematic

11-22-2023 09:08 AM
MichaelMixon
New Contributor II

Are others having limitations using the split tool with irregular shaped parcels in a named version with branch versioned data?

My organization is transitioning from traditional versioning to branch versioning. We are utilizing ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 and ArcGIS Pro 3.1.3 and 3.2. We are publishing parcel services from branch versioned datasets, and end users are creating named versions to isolate their edits until they see fit to rec and post. End users have been unhappy with the performance of the split tool in the branch versioned environment and provide multiple examples of the split tool failing or only partially working when a split is performed using a split line that spans several parcel boundaries.

Splitting parcels one by one works fine. However, when an irregular shaped line feature spans multiple parcels, sometimes overlapping a single boundary in several places, the tool does not fully split all intersecting boundaries, and the areas that do split result in stacked parcels because the original parcel polygon just stays rather than modifying or falling away.

During the use of the split tool, if one of the polygons included in the target list does not have the input split line intersecting it, the tool will fail with the following error:

Error: A polygon cut operation could not classify all parts of the polygon as left or right of the cutting line.

ESRI has communicated that bugs associated with this behavior have been logged (BUG-000150723 BUG-000151169) and fixed, but we have seen no improvement.

We had an architectural overhaul led by ESRI in anticipation of our adoption of web editing and branched versioning. Our entire system is updated, and we increased the recommended resources on all elements of our system.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael,

BUG-000150723 was resolved for the case where features were disappearing after split in a named branch version. Here is the repro case for this bug which I am no longer able to reproduce in 3.0.6, 3.1.3, 3.2:

Polygon Branch Versioned Feature Layer (Version must be the non default version)

1. Load in the a Branch Versioned Polygon Feature Class into Pro
  2. Select a feature on the map and run the split tool from the editing tool bar to split the polygon
  3. Reselect the polygon and run another split on it.
  4. Notice in the attribute table that it will say 3 features are selected, but only two are visible in the attribute table.

We did work in 3.2 to resolve this issue and installed those same fixes in the 3.0.6 and 3.1.3 updates. I am no longer able to reproduce the behavior as described in the repro case.

Likewise, in my testing I could not reproduce BUG-000151169 when testing with 3.0.6, 3.1.3, or 3.2. Here is the repro case I received for BUG-000151169:

• In the editing menu, select the "Split" tool
  • Select the polygon, perform a split operation.
    1. This is successful.
    2. We'll call the created features polygon #1 and polygon #2.
  • Without de-selecting anything, perform a 2nd split operation on polygon #2.
    1. This fails with an error message:
    2. "Splitting features failed. ERROR: Unable to complete operation. Unable to perform applyEdits operation. Error: A polygon cut operation could not classify all parts of the polygon as left or right of the cutting line."
  • Press escape, discard edits, clear all selections.
  • In the editing menu, select the "Split" tool.
  • Select polygon #2 and attempt the "Split" operation.
    1. This succeeds, but not in the way intended.
  • BUG: The result "cuts" or "removes" part of the polygon (it disappears) instead of performing a split.

I recently marked this issue as non-reproducible because I could not reproduce with any of our supported/patched software.

Can you please work with Technical Support to get a bug logged with the behavior you are seeing as it appears to be slightly different than these two bugs? This will be the easiest way for my team to get the appropriate repro case for this.

Unfortunately the error message "Error: A polygon cut operation could not classify all parts of the polygon as left or right of the cutting line" can arise in many scenarios and seems to be causing multiple issues to be convolved.

0 Kudos