Snapping Roads to Highway Layer

01-28-2021 05:08 PM
Labels (1)
DQuinn
by
New Contributor

I am working to map side roads and private roads relative to a state highway system in the area I work. After digitizing most all the roads and snapping them to the state highway layer, the state highway layer was updated and replaced. Now the ends of the roads I have digitized are no longer intersecting the highway layer, they ether overrun it (making danglers) or fall short. I know I could fix it manually, but I was hoping for help automating the task. Is there a tool or workflow that will fix the problem and get my side roads and private roads to snap to the new highway layer? Any advice or tips would be appreciated, thank you for your help!

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.0

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

perhaps Trim Line (Editing)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could use Integrate or Snap, but trim/extend would probably be the simplest.

What are you using your data for, can I ask? If some of the road features are being pulled from another source, it doesn't exactly sound like network analysis.

Also, you might consider something like using OpenStreetMap, both for mapping out your own stuff as well as pulling in major highways. ESRI's feature layer of OSM highways updates with the latest features every 10 minutes or so, and any roads you digitize there will remain topologically consistent as other features are edited.

If you needed the side roads kept separate for other uses, it's pretty straightforward to query OSM data out by key:tag pairs.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos