Slow Respond

03-12-2021 07:27 PM
KhaledAbdelsalam
New Contributor II

I am running ARCGIS Pro via VPN with an internet speed of 100Mbps. My machine is core 5 with 8GB Ram and i have 35 GB empty on my solid state C drive. When i run the program, it takes a while to start then responds slowly to actions. Any recommendation on how to improve the speed ? Will a 16GB Ram upgrade make a difference ?

Thanks

Khaled 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

An install running from your local machine with local data will be the fastest.

For other stumbling blocks, read this and see if you have any associated issues

Troubleshooting Performance Issues in ArcGIS Pro - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KhaledAbdelsalam
New Contributor II

I understand that would be the ideal solution. Unfortunately, this will eat all the remaining space on my HD. My question is if i upgrade the RAM to 16 GB, will this enhance enhance the performance when running the program via VPN with a high speed internet connection ?

Thanks

Khaled

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you using SDE data through the VPN?  My org tried this but is was unworkably slow.  The solution for my org was to Remote Desktop back to the machine with Pro instead of using VPN.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

16 GB RAM will improve the performance as compared to 8 GB RAM. As per ArcGIS Pro 2.7 system requirements, 16 GB is the recommended RAM size.  Esri also recommends a 4GB (or more) dedicated Graphics memory.

You may run Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.7 on the (ArcGIS Pro) machine to  test its hardware compatibility.

And you can expect a lag when working on ArcGIS Pro remotely, as compared to running it on a local machine with same configuration.

Here is an article that might help you understand the concerns. Problem: ArcGIS and VPN: Understanding connection errors, timeouts, and performance issues when work... 

Think Location
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

Yes - bumping up to 16 GB should improve your performance. I believe 16 GB RAM is recommended along with a GPU. This blog mentions it's required. 

ArcGIS Pro leveraging NVIDIA vGPU (esri.com)

0 Kudos