Slow Editing in ArcMap 10.6

02-06-2018 03:09 PM
KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

Anyone else having issues with editing in ArcMap 10.6?  Currently, my shop uses ArcMap 10.5.1 and I imported our existing template into 10.6.  Scrolling around works at a comparable speed but once I start and edit session, everything slows down.  Snapping is slow.  Mouse clicks response are slow.  Everything is slow.

In 10.5.1, we use the Attribute Assistant and Water Utility Network add-ins.  I've tried both the 3.1.2017 and 1.17.2018 versions of these tools and both are slow.

I tried a couple different methods to rebuild the templates and editing was still slow.

I've tried the steps on this blog post and nothing helped.

https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support/blog/2012/06/07/troubleshooting-slow-performance... 

I've cleaned the map cache and set the geoprocessing results management to keep for less than a day.

I've started a ticket with ESRI but was curious to see how many other people were experiencing this problem too.

Tags (3)
68 Replies
RaynerHoward
New Contributor III

I have noticed much slower performance overall since upgrading ArcMap from 10.5 to 10.6.  Just about everything takes significantly longer.  Seems very sluggish.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you editing data stored in an enterprise geodatabase?  If so, did you upgrade the enterprise geodatabase as well as the desktop application where you are performing the editing?

KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

I am editing an enterprise geodatabase but I'm hesitant to upgrade it for fear of it impacting our users who are still on 10.5.1 which is working well right now.  I'm just testing out 10.6 and can't do things that might change that.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a development environment for your enterprise database where you could test an upgraded 10.6 SDE database's editing speed in development where you're working with 1 version against the speed of your current slow production SDE database editing where you're working between 2 different ESRI versions between desktop and the database?

KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

I got permission to create a new test enterprise database.  I will create that in 10.6 and test editing in that environment and report back.

0 Kudos
KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

Editing the data in a 10.6 enterprise geodatabase did not improve the performance.

0 Kudos
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

Since you are in an enterprise environment, you can check other factors that may affect performance:

1.  Are you editing data that is registered as versioned?

...Have the versions been reconciled, posted and deleted when no longer in use?

...When was the last compress ran, and how successful was it?

2.  Have you tried rebuilding indexes and statistics on the data?

Five Best Practices for Maintaining an ArcSDE Geodatabase | ArcGIS Blog 

If you still have ArcDesktop 10.5.1 installed somewhere, and you test the same workflows on the same data, do you see the performance is still slow?  

KeithBurdette1
New Contributor III

The data is registered as versioned.  There are about 20 versions that we work with - all of them are children of the default version.  They are all in use and get reconciled and posted regularly.

Every two hours, we do database maintenance.  That process reconciles the versions, compresses the database, rebuilds the indexes and analyzes the datasets.

When I was on the tech support call, he looked at the compress log and states table - every looked all right.

The performance in ArcMap 10.5.1 is decidedly faster.  I've tested that in a couple environments.

0 Kudos
SkylerDewey
New Contributor III

I am having the same problem with my PC that I upgraded this morning.  I have been able to edit slowly by repathing the source but that seems to be the only thing that worked for me.

We had one new PC in our office that didn't have any previous versions of ArcDesktop and did a fresh install of 10.6, that PC is the only one not having any issues editing the exact same data and version that I was trying to edit on my PC.

0 Kudos