Select to view content in your preferred language

Slope/Aspect arrows getting reversed in Layout view

03-19-2021 10:48 AM
BrianBulla
Regular Contributor II

Hi,

I have created a layer to show slope/aspect.  In my Map view, everything looks good.

BrianBulla_0-1616175848283.png

But when I create a layout (with some map rotation based on an attribute in a Map Series), the slope/aspect arrows all get reversed.  Where have I gone wrong??

BrianBulla_1-1616176029459.png

These captures are of the same location, just rotated approx 180 degrees in layout.  The correct flow is the first one.

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

are the arrows rotated by an angle in the attribute table of a featureclass?

if so, they won't change when you rotate the map 180, you would have to calculate another angle or change the arrow head to go the other direction.

... sort of retired...
BrianBulla
Regular Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Yes, the arrows are rotated according to the aspect value (DIRECTION) but the map series page is also being rotated by a attribute in the layer I'm using for the map series.  I'm just wondering if they might be conflicting somehow.  I don't really see where else things could be getting messed up.

I have the rotation on the arrows set to Geographic and the field DIRECTION.  It shows up properly on the map but not on the layout.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I suspect that the arrows have no way of knowing that they should follow what the layout is doing.  This is a pretty obscure case so I really don't have any suggestions beyond ... is the layout rotation a need, or a nice... it it is a need then the secondary column suggestion in your table might be the workaround (eg one rotated normally, one rotated by 180

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BrianBulla
Regular Contributor II

Well after some testing it does seem to be the rotation of the Layout that is causing the issue.  If I set the rotation field to 0, then all is good.  As soon as I start playing with the rotation value, the direction of the arrows gets thrown off.

Problem is I have many map pages, and each one is rotated differently.  Guess I'll have to figure something out.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
BrianBulla
Regular Contributor II

Hmmm.....and trying this same thing using ArcMap all seems to be ok using Rotation with Data Driven Pages.

So it must be something with ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

leaving ... tech support

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos