Select to view content in your preferred language

Shifting polygon feature to x, y point coordinate

08-13-2024 03:29 PM
Kathleen
New Contributor

Hi there!

I am trying to do essentially what the Move Delta XY tool (or the raster shift tool) does but in an automatable format. I have one large circular polygon that needs to get moved to center over an x, y point coordinate. I want a tool or script where I can input a point layer that has in its attribute field x and y values for a dozen of points, filter the point I want, and then the input polygon layer will shift to center over the x, y coordinates of the selected point. I want to be able to do it this way instead of in Edit as I am trying to automate a larger process. I tried the transform tool, but you need multiple control points, and I just want to center over one specific point. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SYOCSan
Occasional Contributor

I have a similar issues for georeferencing as-builts that always get placed in the middle of the ocean. I don't have a set solution yet but I was pondering making a Locator based on the corner of a building so when I click on the corner of the as-built building I can chose the location and it would hopefully at least snap there. I wonder if that would work for your problem too 

0 Kudos
Kathleen
New Contributor

Thanks for responding! This is definitely an interesting idea. I am not sure if it will work for my purposes as the snap tool (which I would need to use to automate) requires at least two control points to shift and I just have a point, but locators are not something I have done much with, so it is worth experimenting. I am currently trying to see if I can code a tool for it, so I may be posting about that shortly when I inevitably hit a coding wall. Thanks!

0 Kudos
SYOCSan
Occasional Contributor

I just re-read your post. 

Why not take the points on the point layer and convert to polygon (I think it has a buffer so you can make it bigger) then when you filter the x,y you want it will take you to your spot.

0 Kudos
JohannesBierer
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos