Shapefiles are not showing all features

02-10-2022 09:10 AM
Ayad
by
New Contributor

I've been having an issue with displaying all features from downloaded shapefiles (e.g. https://www.pasda.psu.edu/download/pamap/pamap_lidar/cycle1/BL/South/2006/40000000/42001330PAS_bl.zi...)

Those are breaklines and should be showing more than 2K features. The same shapefile displays perfectly in ArcMap, but in ArcGIS Pro it shows only one line segment. I cleared layer cache, general display cache, I made sure there are not definition queries/filters set, and no scale dependencies.

I tried even Adding a Spatial Index to the shapefile with no success. I tried importing it to the project's geodatabase and it exports only this single line.

I had to create a file geodatabase in ArcMap and import the shapefiles there, then open the geodatabase in ArcGIS Pro in order for it to work. It seems counterintuitive to me, especially that some other shapefiles do not have this issue (e.g. contour lines: https://www.pasda.psu.edu/download/pamap/pamap_lidar/cycle1/CONT/South/2006/40000000/42001330PAS_con... 

Am I missing anything? Is there anything else I should be trying?

Running ArcGIS pro 2.9.1 on Windows 10, i7 processor, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon WX3200

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I checked as well, there is some geometry issue or connection to the geometry.  

I tried a calculate geometry on the file and only the first record had a length or a start and end coordinate.

I would contact the originator of the data (in the xml or html)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Ayad
by
New Contributor

That's interesting, I'll definitely let the data originator know. The more interesting thing is that I used the same exact shapefiles about a year ago in ArcGIS Pro with no issues (earlier version of Pro, I think 2.7?). And they open with no issues whatsoever in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How To: Recover a corrupt shapefile (esri.com)

tried most, but I am not going to try the utility... it could have been a dud download, but they should be aware of it in any event

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos