Separating points in a feature class

Jump to solution
04-28-2021 03:03 PM
jgstaley
New Contributor II

Hi! 

I am relatively new to ArcGIS and need to do one thing (or multiple depending on how you look at it) to make my workflow easier. 

I have a bunch of points that I would like to sort into different feature classes (based off an attribute as well as their relation to one of three boundaries I have drawn" 

The attribute is "Type" and has 3 values "Handling" "Release/HRHR" and "SCS/PSCS"

My three boundaries are "SITE" "Adjacent" and "Surrounding"

I understand that I can use the "split" tool to sort by the attribute "Type" however I am not sure how to sort them based off of the boundary they fall within. For example I want all the points that fall within the "Adjacent" boundary that do not fall within the "SITE" boundary, so I cannot use the "clip" tool for this. 

My overall goal looks something like this....I wanna see all the "Handling" points that are located on "Adjacent" properties..... etc

I would love how to do this by hand so that I can write myself a tool to accomplish it (something I am learning in my free time). 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have a couple of buffers and not dozens, you can incorporate a select by attributes if you buffers are named, or spatially join the points to your buffers to find out what buffer they are in or 

Summarize Within (Standard Feature Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

if you just need a summary of which ones are in which buffer.

This can all be coded if you have many buffer zones and/or have to do this many times.

PS  your reference to the split tool wasn't in the original post, but appears after the first edit

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Split By Attributes (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

If the attributes are within a field you can split based on the attribute

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
jgstaley
New Contributor II
I understand that and have the split feature down but I don’t think I was specific enough on my question.

Pretend I have 3 buffers...1/4 mile 1/2 mile and a mile. I only want to see the pins that are between my quarter mile buffer and my half mile buffer. Is that possible? I’d then further split those points based off of the “type” they are from my attribute.

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have a couple of buffers and not dozens, you can incorporate a select by attributes if you buffers are named, or spatially join the points to your buffers to find out what buffer they are in or 

Summarize Within (Standard Feature Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

if you just need a summary of which ones are in which buffer.

This can all be coded if you have many buffer zones and/or have to do this many times.

PS  your reference to the split tool wasn't in the original post, but appears after the first edit

... sort of retired...