Select to view content in your preferred language

Select polygons that share an intersected polygon from a separate layer

08-01-2019 04:20 PM
DerekNewland
New Contributor III

So I have a feeling the simplest way to solve my problem may just be for me to manually go over the data but here it goes.

I need to select all the of parcels that have more than 1 land use zone. So for example, I have a parcel polygon that is intersected by 2 zone polygons and I have a lot of them. I need to create a layer to show only those parcels that have multiple zones. Is it even possible to automate this even if it requires some manual clean up afterwords?

In the image above shows the selected parcel is in 2 different zones. I have an Arcade expression to show the zone with the highest percentage covering the parcel but now I need to actually select and create a new map showing all the parcels like this.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Derek

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Do you have access to ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap?

0 Kudos
DerekNewland
New Contributor III

I have access to both.

0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro

Run the Union tool on the Parcels and Zone

You will get an output

Then on the output run the Summarize tool on the ParcelID - using Count as the Statistic

You will get an output of Parcels that are part of more than one zone 

Now you can add a join - using the ParcelID on the Polygons and use the parcel ID of the summary table

Then you can use a select by attributes or definition query to display features that cross two land use zones

Once they are selected you could export the layer to a new Feature Class

(Also I ran a definition query on the Union where Parcels was  not -1) to only display parcels that were within a land use. (Otherwise empty zones would appear)

Hope that this helps