Select points in buffer zones by ID

02-20-2024 02:04 AM
AlexiaLaplanche
New Contributor

Hello everyone, I have records for few people of their position around a day and I have the location of their home. For each home, i have created a buffer around it and I want for each points, with the same id as the buffer in this buffer (because in the buffer you can have records for another people wich it's not the home), select them to create a variable who say home : yes/no, depending if the point is in the buffer or not. I am using arcgis pro 3.2 .

Thank you for your help

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
EdMorris
Esri Contributor

Hi

Having thought about this I would suggest (assuming this is a manual process)

1. Add a new field to your "people" layer to hold the "Y" / "N" value. It would be a string field with a length of 1
  2. For each Buffer make a note of the Buffer ID and select the Buffer
  3. Use the Select By Location tool to select those "peoples' locations" that are inside of the Buffer.
  4. Use the Select by Attribute tool to create an attribute query to select those features in the "peoples' locations" layer which match the ID of the Buffer. Make sure the Selection Type is set to "Select subset from the Current Selection".

This will select only those locations which are within the Buffer and which match the Buffer ID.

5. Use the Field Calculator tool on to populate the newly created field of the selected records with a value of "Y"

I think this may be what you want to do...

I hope this helps

ed

0 Kudos