Select invisible features

03-16-2022 10:09 AM
GregoireS
Occasional Contributor

When i use unique value symbology, i can choose to not symbolize all values.

But then i can not graphically select the features that aren't valued/symbolized/visible on the map.

On ArcGIS Desktop it would select all the features, regardless of the symbology.

GregoireS_2-1647449458164.pngGregoireS_3-1647450184685.png

I can see the purpose of Pro's version, and sometimes it's useful, but sometimes not. Can we choose and use the old way ?

Is it also possible to choose the old way which the selection appears, as a simple point/line regardless of the symbology ?

GregoireS_4-1647450335740.png

If it's not possible, then please move the topic to ArgcGIS ideas, thanks 🙂

Tags (2)
11 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

That is interesting.  Something doesn't seem right there.

Even if you keep the item in symbology, but give it a color of Null, it will not select it.  It behaves as if it is being definition queried out and the feature isn't there, but, it still exists in the attribute table. 

However, it doesn't show up in All Other values either unless you actually remove it from the symbology (not just Null the color).  Also, Explore (identify) doesn't recognize there being a feature there if the color is null as well.

Seems like a bug to me since what color (or not) you choose to symbolize by, shouldn't definition query it from the display.

Only workaround I see is to set the feature to the same color as the background, but, then you see that in the legend.

R_

0 Kudos
GregoireS
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the answer.

@RhettZufelt wrote:

Even if you keep the item in symbology, but give it a color of Null, it will not select it.

[...]

Seems like a bug to me since what color (or not) you choose to symbolize by, shouldn't definition query it from the display.

> That's wrong, in this case it does. Maby i have to correct/precise : it depends not on the presence of a color but on if it's valued or not. See image below.

@RhettZufelt wrote:

However, it doesn't show up in All Other values either unless you actually remove it from the symbology (not just Null the color).

> I actually removed All Other values

GregoireS_1-1647512611158.png

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Upon further testing, you are correct.  I tested with points, and figured it would work the same as lines:

RhettZufelt_0-1647528895599.pngRhettZufelt_1-1647528906571.png

My previous post refers to the behavior with points.

Using Pro 2.9.1

R_

0 Kudos
GregoireS
Occasional Contributor

It seems that it should get moved as an idea to change it, can an admin do it ? Or should i do it myself ?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Gregoire - you will have to create the ArcGIS Idea yourself.  That way it's associated with you versus an Esri staff member.

0 Kudos
ErikTownsend
New Contributor II

I think this should be added as an idea for change.  Let me know if it does and I will upvote.

Thanks

Erik

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There is a workaround for points at least. If you choose certain symbols, like the Line Marker from the gallery and then set the fill color to nothing you can still select them. 

But I agree, it should be an allowable feature for all points.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Hm, that doesn't seem to work for me. I have a point layer that I'm just using for labels, so I have it set to transparent, but when they are transparent, I cannot select them. I have to toggle them to a color each and every time. It would be great to have the option, whether per feature, per map, or app-level, to include invisible features in selection. There is a 'keep invisible features selected with new selection' option, which I thought would work, but it does not.

Transparent - no selection:

rburkebsrc_0-1666893198650.png

Color applied - selection works:

rburkebsrc_1-1666893254782.png

0 Kudos