Select to view content in your preferred language

Select Feature By Location - Points Not on Line Getting Selected

Jump to solution
03-08-2024 05:56 AM
EvanMyers1
Occasional Contributor

I have found an instance where the Select Feature By Location, using select by intersect with 0 distance, is selecting features when they shouldn't.  See below, notice how close I am:

EvanMyers1_0-1709905700620.png

This is creating problems in our database where we need pipes split at valves and fittings.  In this case, it skipped a split here.   So, even though the select by location says it intersects, the Split By Feature point tool doesn't think so.

Is this a bug?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Would have to test on copy first, but I believe if you run a Snap on the valves and fittings (to the lines) with real small tolerance, it should move them over so that the Split By Feature tool would think so.  Unless, of course, the snap tool has issues with XY tolerance as well.

R_

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MErikReedAugusta
Occasional Contributor III

I think this is an issue of the XY tolerance settings in your map.  If you're that close, then all of ArcGIS' tools will consider those two features to be functionally coincident.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/3.1/tool-reference/environment-settings/xy-tolerance.htm#:~:text=F....

RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Would have to test on copy first, but I believe if you run a Snap on the valves and fittings (to the lines) with real small tolerance, it should move them over so that the Split By Feature tool would think so.  Unless, of course, the snap tool has issues with XY tolerance as well.

R_

EvanMyers1
Occasional Contributor

I just ran Snap and it looks like it worked.  I never thought of the XY tolerance for my map so that is something to keep in mind.

Thanks!

0 Kudos