Select by Attributes misses records?

Jump to solution
06-29-2021 01:57 PM
MattWilkie1
Occasional Contributor II

Has anyone had this happen to them? I'm running Select By Attributes on a feature class to select shape area less than 300, but only a fraction of the records are being selected. This screenshot is after the query has been run. I've verified the selection is New Selection and not Reselect from a previous selection. The table is sorted on Shape_Area. It's clear that 20 of 24 visible rows should be selected, but only 13 actually are. I've pressed [refresh table] at bottom right after running the query. I've replicated these bad results several times, but all in this same session (I haven't yet tried closing Pro and trying again).

The table is a polygon feature class in a file geodatabase. ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1.

MattWilkie1_0-1624983551740.png

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattWilkie1

Wow. This one is subtle. It's not a bug, exactly, but it sure as heck isn't not-a-bug either.

Prior to the state above I had selected a polygon and used the Explode editing tool. Although I had finished with the tool it was not deactivated. There was no visual indication in the attribute table panel that the edit tool was still active and filtering records non-visually.

Said another way: the table panel was still showing me all records, but the allowable set of records that could be operated on were filtered by the still-active Explode tool, which meant that the Select By Attributes tool only saw the subset left exposed by Explode.

The fix was to deactivate the editing tool by using the back button in the tool panel and then use Select by Attributes again.

2021-06-29 10_00_54-ArcGISNotifications.png

How did I figure this out?

Later, when I toggled OFF the layer's editability a temporary notification appeared saying "Active Edit tool is filtering the selection. Deactivate tool to restore the selection". At this point I remembered seeing the notification 15 or so minutes earlier when I started editing.

So the bug here if there is one is that the notification is temporary. Or that it shows at the wrong time. Or that the table panel does not have an indicator of the filtered record status. Or all of the proceeding.

See Esri's page on "active tool is filtering the selection" for more info.

2021-06-29 09_44_47-Window.png

Cross posted https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/402758/arcgis-pro-select-by-attributes-misses-records/

View solution in original post

11 Replies
MattWilkie1

Wow. This one is subtle. It's not a bug, exactly, but it sure as heck isn't not-a-bug either.

Prior to the state above I had selected a polygon and used the Explode editing tool. Although I had finished with the tool it was not deactivated. There was no visual indication in the attribute table panel that the edit tool was still active and filtering records non-visually.

Said another way: the table panel was still showing me all records, but the allowable set of records that could be operated on were filtered by the still-active Explode tool, which meant that the Select By Attributes tool only saw the subset left exposed by Explode.

The fix was to deactivate the editing tool by using the back button in the tool panel and then use Select by Attributes again.

2021-06-29 10_00_54-ArcGISNotifications.png

How did I figure this out?

Later, when I toggled OFF the layer's editability a temporary notification appeared saying "Active Edit tool is filtering the selection. Deactivate tool to restore the selection". At this point I remembered seeing the notification 15 or so minutes earlier when I started editing.

So the bug here if there is one is that the notification is temporary. Or that it shows at the wrong time. Or that the table panel does not have an indicator of the filtered record status. Or all of the proceeding.

See Esri's page on "active tool is filtering the selection" for more info.

2021-06-29 09_44_47-Window.png

Cross posted https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/402758/arcgis-pro-select-by-attributes-misses-records/

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
MattWilkie1
That bug record says it was fixed in v9.2?

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @MattWilkie1 

In the next release of ArcGIS Pro (2.9), you will be able to perform a query (ex. select by attributes) without an active edit tool filtering the selection. Thanks for the feedback!

-Scott

chadhickman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Scott,

What is the actual fix for the error @MattWilkie1 pointed out? I have tried using his recommendation's but that is not fixed my issue. I keep getting the "Active tool is filtering the selection...." message and I am unable to Edit my annotation.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@chadhickman 

Matt was seeing the active edit tool (in his case Explode) was filtering the selection that Select By Attributes was returning. This is because the Explode tool can only select multipart features. He hit the back button in the modify features pane, which deactivated the Explode tool and then he was able to perform the Select By Attributes without the selection being filtered.

I'm not sure what behavior you're seeing. Can you give me some more specific details? perhaps a screenshot?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
chadhickman

Thank you for replying. 

So I am trying to move annotation in my layout using the 'Annotation Tool' in the Modify Pane. I set the  annotation layer as only selectable layer and then try selecting the annotation I am trying to move but every time I receive attached error and I am unable to modify the Annotation (moving, change font, etc.)

Please help this is extremely frustrating, I have gone through ton of posts, etc. and nothing is solving the problem. I even created a new Pro document and I am still encountering this issue

0 Kudos
chadhickman

I am not sure what or how I supposed to be "deactivating"!?! I have used the back arrow in the modify pane and the escape, but neither has worked.

chadhickman

Furthermore, ever tool I select in the Modify Pane is giving me the same error message

0 Kudos