Select by attributes auto update results

03-04-2022 10:53 AM
MCostley
New Contributor II

Hello!

Here's a question that came to me from our planning staff. When using the Select by Attributes tool to find an address, the first 2000 or so records come up before anything is searched:

MCostley_2-1646419087273.png

When searching for an address with a house number of anything less than 30 in this case, the results automatically filter and update with available addresses. For example, I entered '15' and you can see below that the query automatically found all properties beginning with 15 and I'm able to select the exact address I'm looking for without having to type in the whole address.

MCostley_4-1646419373874.png

This is the ideal setup for them and they use the function often. The problem is that the list doesn't automatically update for anything beyond the initial 2000 results. So looking for an address in the 40s, I'd have to type in the exact address to find the property I'm looking for. Switching the clause to "begins with" isn't an ideal option because they're finding they have to sort through a bunch of results when it's much easier to select the option they need from a drop-down list. 

MCostley_5-1646419976387.png

Is there a way to configure the Select by Attributes tool to auto-fill the results from searches beyond the initial 2000?

Thank you!

4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

What release of ArcGIS Pro are you using using?  I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 presently.  I'm working with a parcel feature class of 64850 features and in my Select by Attribute tool doing a select on OBJECTID can see all 64850 values by scrolling down.  It doesn't get stuck at 2000 records.   Or am I missing something here?

MCostley
New Contributor II
ArcPro 2.8.3.

Hmm, I hope it’s just a release issue.

Thanks for the reply!
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

If possible, do a clean uninstall of ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3 and a clean install of ArcGIS Pro 2.9.0.  ArcGIS Pro will then prompt you that an update to 2.9.2 is available.  Then retest your workflow.  What is the result?

0 Kudos
MCostley
New Contributor II

Waiting for IT to do the update. In the meantime, I did some more digging and found that when I pull the same layer from my SDE, I'm able to search all records.

The layer that the planning office uses is a feature service on AGOL. I took a peek at the JSON and the Max Record Count was set to 2000. I was able to change the Max to include all features at 10000 using this article from ESRI Support, but I'm still only getting 2000 records on the initial search back in ArcPro. So that theory is out I guess.  

MCostley_0-1646666494691.png

0 Kudos