Select by Attribute corrupting shapefile

Jump to solution
02-23-2019 07:20 AM
ajkelsey
New Contributor III

I downloaded parcel information from my county's gis server. I select by attribute for a particular town and then copy to a feature. When I try to perform the same operation for a different town on the original parcel set, the table information is all screwy. Information is missing and the selection is including parcels that do no match the criteria. The criteria is simple. I select one field I want to match and its value. I would appreciate any insight.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Andrew,

Is it possible that the file you downloaded might have some corruptions. Here is what I would try, export the shapefile as a new feature class or a shapefile and then run the select by attribute (as you are already) and simply export the selected records as a new shapefile (preferably with the name of the town).

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan

View solution in original post

3 Replies
shan_sarkar

Andrew,

Is it possible that the file you downloaded might have some corruptions. Here is what I would try, export the shapefile as a new feature class or a shapefile and then run the select by attribute (as you are already) and simply export the selected records as a new shapefile (preferably with the name of the town).

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
ajkelsey
New Contributor III

I think you are correct about the file being corrupt. I initially did as you suggested by making my selection and exporting that to a shapefile. Generally, that seems to be a better method for what I want to do. It worked well on 3 selections until I attempted it for one particular town. It selected parcels that did not match the specified clause. I was able to find an old version of the parcels and the selection worked just fine. I'll try to email my county to let them know. Thanks for the insight.

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

I am glad I was able to help you out. 

~Shan
0 Kudos