Search and update from a list

01-17-2024 09:21 AM
AdamET
by
New Contributor

I need to use a downloaded list of fields to update another field.  

I have an excel table that I exported from a database.  

I use one field to search for the 'asset' and the other field contains the information that needs updated.

Is there a tool or function that allows me to search and update at the same time?

Or maybe even batch update?

I am updating the attribute with unique data for each search. (Like a production number, SS#, or ESN)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @AdamET can you please share some screenshots as a walkthrough for what you are trying to do? Thank you!

0 Kudos
AdamET
by
New Contributor

AdamET_0-1705518796186.png

AdamET_1-1705519182108.png

AdamET_2-1705519354340.png

For example: I cut and paste the facility # to search by facility # in 'layer search' and when arc map finds it, I select the facility (in an edit session). Then in the features attributes I select the field I want to update then cut and paste from the ID# list in excel to update the field.  There are over 400 of these and I hoping to find a quicker work flow.

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Does the `facility #` column exist in that MS-Excel dataset as well? And are the facility # values in the same sequence in both the datasets?

0 Kudos
AdamET
by
New Contributor

Yes, this is an exported table that I cleaned up for ease of use.

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Okay so I think you can use the `Join Field` tool to join the new/updated column from the Excel Table to your intended table. The matching/key column between the two would be `facility #`. If it works for you then you can delete old/out dated column.

0 Kudos
AdamET
by
New Contributor

Hi Ed,

I imported the excel file to a table and was looking at the join tool.  It appears that upon joining the tables a new table is created with the joined data.  Facility number and ID

Because these are unique facility #'s (not in sequential order), would I need to update the Main dBase table that I am trying to edit?

I want to replace certain ID's based on the Facility number list.

0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

Adam - are you using ArcGIS Pro?  If so, I may have a solution.  let me know...

0 Kudos