Scaling Labels by Population in Pro

Jump to solution
10-19-2021 11:33 AM
NicholasLeusner
New Contributor

I am creating a map and I am having difficulty scaling the labels based on population data. The population data is contained within the same shapefile as the names of the municipalities. Is this something that is possible to do using Arcade. Python, or any of the other languages or not something that is possible to do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here is an option in VBScript (also works in ArcGIS Pro > Layer Labeling Properties)

How To: Include table fields in a VBScript label expression and use those values as dynamic font pro...

Unlike the example in the above link, I didn't create new fields for the purpose, but did the calculation in the expression itself.

JayantaPoddar_0-1634673121891.png

In the above example, 100000 is the factor divided by which my value field would result in values ranging from 6 to 18 (approx.). You could choose the factor that gives you the desired range of proportionate values.

Before Custom Expression

JayantaPoddar_2-1634673541754.png

After custom expression

JayantaPoddar_1-1634673437778.png

Think Location

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here is an option in VBScript (also works in ArcGIS Pro > Layer Labeling Properties)

How To: Include table fields in a VBScript label expression and use those values as dynamic font pro...

Unlike the example in the above link, I didn't create new fields for the purpose, but did the calculation in the expression itself.

JayantaPoddar_0-1634673121891.png

In the above example, 100000 is the factor divided by which my value field would result in values ranging from 6 to 18 (approx.). You could choose the factor that gives you the desired range of proportionate values.

Before Custom Expression

JayantaPoddar_2-1634673541754.png

After custom expression

JayantaPoddar_1-1634673437778.png

Think Location
NicholasLeusner
New Contributor

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for, thanks!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@JayantaPoddarhas what is essentially the only workaround at the moment. Your situation of wanting to change the label's font size is easily accomplished there, but labels do not currently support property connections for any label properties besides what can be done in the "<FNT>" tag.

If you think it would be helpful to simply peg a label property to an attribute or expression, I'd appreciate a vote in favor of my suggestion to implement this.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos