Select to view content in your preferred language

Rubbersheet vs Transform?

09-13-2023 11:01 AM
Labels (2)
MattWilkie1
Occasional Contributor III

The ArcGIS Pro tools Rubbersheet and Transform do similar things: modify the shape geometry of features in a feature class to more closely match a target, with the target shape being specified through a series "old position --> new position" coordinates.

Rubbersheet: Modifies input features by spatially adjusting them through rubbersheeting, using the specified rubbersheet links, so they are better aligned with the intended target features.

Transform: Converts the coordinates of input features from one location to another through scaling, shifting, and rotating based on the transformation links between known corresponding control points.

The language in Rubbersheet help is more approachable while Transform is academic or engineering level but I don't really see what the difference is. I mean, I understand they use different algorithms, but assuming either's link line input are at at hand, so what? How to choose between the methods? What things should be thought about? What are the tradeoffs?

0 Kudos
0 Replies