Rotating text in ArcGIS Pro - Text flips upside down!!

Jump to solution
09-25-2018 04:02 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

Has anyone tried rotating text in ArcGIS Pro? I am having issues with a simple rotation, i just want to rotate about 25 degrees clockwise to align with a polygon, and each time I do this it flips upside down, video for clarification:

This should be the most basic of tasks, but Pro is making it exasperating!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Ben,

I haven't researched this extensively, but believe that this could be related to [BUG-000115854: Add a parameter to flip text with halo in the Layout view in ArcGIS Pro.]

Let's see if we can get things right-side-up.  

It looks like you're working with point text:

I agree, I'm a bit exasperated working with this.  It appears that I get a Rotation value for the Text Element as well as the Text Symbol, and that when using Point text, I can't change those two independently.  If I change one, the other matches it.  And when it's upside down, well... I'm stuck.

Try adding your text as Rectangle text, and then note that the Text Element rotation is controlled separately from the Text Symbol rotation.  Let's see what we can do.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It appears to be working in the range 180 to -180 degrees relative to the x-axis  (rather than 0 to 360 from North as you are using)

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Ben,

I haven't researched this extensively, but believe that this could be related to [BUG-000115854: Add a parameter to flip text with halo in the Layout view in ArcGIS Pro.]

Let's see if we can get things right-side-up.  

It looks like you're working with point text:

I agree, I'm a bit exasperated working with this.  It appears that I get a Rotation value for the Text Element as well as the Text Symbol, and that when using Point text, I can't change those two independently.  If I change one, the other matches it.  And when it's upside down, well... I'm stuck.

Try adding your text as Rectangle text, and then note that the Text Element rotation is controlled separately from the Text Symbol rotation.  Let's see what we can do.

BenVan_Kesteren1

Thanks for that workaround Kory Kramer‌, it has gotten me out of the woods! 

Cheers

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Ben, maybe something even easier as we have since further narrowed down the issue here.  This appears to be caused by something in the styles from the symbol gallery.  When you choose the symbol, my guess is that you're choosing it from here:

So, if I choose POI, I get the obnoxious behavior.

But if I choose Water, things are good.

With that information, are you able to proceed with your work?  I hope this is helpful.

The development team is aware of this issue and will work to get it addressed.

Thanks

0 Kudos
BenVan_Kesteren1

Hey Kory, 

I was indeed using the top text option:

I had not tried any of the Symbol options you mention, but I can confirm that the first 5 I tried in the Symbol Menu, failed when rotating, but as you mentioned, the Water one works fine.

Cheers for the info!

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ben, 

The upside-down, inverted behavior you are seeing is due to the value of the Flip angle property on the Text Symbol.

When the flip angle is not 0 you will get the upside-down, inverted behavior. This is by design since these text symbols are designed for map labeling, not just for text placement on the layout. To avoid this, I would recommend using the layout specific text symbols that you can access from the Symbol gallery.

You can also change the flip angle to 0 for any existing text elements where you see this problem. You can also create your own text styles that you can reuse. Information on how to do this can be found in the following help topic - Save symbols and style items in styles—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

We know that this experience is not optimal and hope to improve it in a future release.  Thanks for your feedback. It helps. If you have any suggestions on how to make this experience better, please feel free to post them on the Ideas site - https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

@TomBole, are you aware of anything that might cause that flip angle property to be grayed out in the label class settings? I'm using auto text to add text in the same style as a label, and they're all coming out upside down because the flip angle is set to 90 in the label style, but I cannot change it. I have to change each one manually after placing. Thoughts?

rburkebsrc_0-1651174201494.png

0 Kudos