Reporting Features in Tables

Jump to solution
01-14-2021 10:20 AM
Labels (2)
JamesWenyon
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

I have a scenario where I have one parcel with three different zoning designations in them (Due to property appraiser overlapping,etc). For this example lets say 60% of a parcel is Light Commercial, 30 % is High density residential, and the remaining 10% is industrial. 

I have used the intersect tool to isolate the different zonings in each parcel and then do a spatial join to a centroid layer. From the centroid layer i then run a report to get the parcel id # and the zonings.

Is there a tool that can be used to report the parcel and all of their zoning plus percentages in a one row report, as in one parcel per row. Or is there a way to just report the most dominant zoning designation, in this case it would report 60% Light Commercial.

Because I have a centroid layer that the data is joined to, would the parcel just report the zoning designation where the centroid is inside of?

Any step or nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think it would be a spatial join of the zoning to each parcel.  In it's simplest form, each zoning would be split by the boundary of each parcel (i.e. a zone does not cross the boundary of a parcel).

After this, you would perform a spatial join, using the field mapping of 'SUM' to count up the shape areas which intersect each parcel (before you do this, create a new field in the zone data and calculate it to be the same as the shape_area field, since the spatial join doesn't pick up the shape_area a field map option). In the GP tool, rename the shape_Area field being summed to the name of the zone type e.g. 'Total_Industrial_Area'.

I'm guessing that each zone type isn't it's own feature, so you would probably wan't to apply a definition query to initially limit the data to a specific zone (e.g. Zone_Type = 'Light Commercial'), run the join, then do the same for the remaining zones.

You should then have say 3 new feature classes (Light_Commercial, Residential, Industrial).  Which has all the initial attributes of the Parcel feature, with an additional field (result of the spatial join tool and 'sum' field mapping) specifying the sum of all the shape_areas of the specific zone type.

I'd then just do a series of attribute joins on all the feature classes based on the parcel_id (I assume there is one) and then clean it up.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think it would be a spatial join of the zoning to each parcel.  In it's simplest form, each zoning would be split by the boundary of each parcel (i.e. a zone does not cross the boundary of a parcel).

After this, you would perform a spatial join, using the field mapping of 'SUM' to count up the shape areas which intersect each parcel (before you do this, create a new field in the zone data and calculate it to be the same as the shape_area field, since the spatial join doesn't pick up the shape_area a field map option). In the GP tool, rename the shape_Area field being summed to the name of the zone type e.g. 'Total_Industrial_Area'.

I'm guessing that each zone type isn't it's own feature, so you would probably wan't to apply a definition query to initially limit the data to a specific zone (e.g. Zone_Type = 'Light Commercial'), run the join, then do the same for the remaining zones.

You should then have say 3 new feature classes (Light_Commercial, Residential, Industrial).  Which has all the initial attributes of the Parcel feature, with an additional field (result of the spatial join tool and 'sum' field mapping) specifying the sum of all the shape_areas of the specific zone type.

I'd then just do a series of attribute joins on all the feature classes based on the parcel_id (I assume there is one) and then clean it up.