Replicating ArcMAP quick hillshade function in ArcGIS Pro

06-25-2020 09:45 AM
KeithAddison
New Contributor II

In ArcMap 10.3, under the raster symbology window, there is a quick & easy hillshade option under the checkbox 'Use Hillshade effect', as below:

This checkbox appears to be combining several raster functions in order to produce a non-faded hillshade effect, but I've no good idea which ones.  This quick combination checkbox doesn't seem to have any analog in Pro, so what I wan to know is how I can replicate this functionality in Pro?  Is there a quick way I'm missing?  If not, which functions is ArcMap's 'use hill shade effect' box combining?  I can make a hillshade underlay layer using Pro's Raster Functions->Surface->Hillshade tool, but I can't get it to look the same (I'm running Map & Pro side by side for comparison) so I know Map is doing more than just cranking out a hillshade underlay like Pro does.  Also of note I don't have 3d or Spatial Analyst for either products.

7 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Keith - I found an ArcUser article from December 2018 that discusses additional settings for the Hillshade function in AGP that you could set to nearly mimic the ArcMap "hillshade effect."  

KeithAddison
New Contributor II

This is helpful, but it doesn't replicate the ArcMAP effect.  I wish I knew what else the ArcMAP tool was doing, it has some method for making the overlay fade not needed and something else must be involved as the traditional hillshades produced look rather different.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I understand Keith.  Not sure what ArcMap was doing behind the scenes to make this effect work.  Maybe there's some type of transparency occurring here?

0 Kudos
KeithAddison
New Contributor II

I found a description of the procedure I think ArcMAP used to get the non-transparent drape effect.  Having trouble putting it into a function chain in Pro.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/product/imagery/an-alternative-to-overlaying-layer-tints-o... 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Interesting article from 2012!  I like it.  When I'm done teaching classes this week, I'll attempt to build a function chain in ArcGIS Pro to see if I can mimic the workflow.  If successful, then I will share it out as a Project Package to you.

JakeKrall
Occasional Contributor III

Have there been any new developments on this now in Pro 2.8.3?  Would really like to see just the simple check box with Z factor in the Symbology interface like in Arcmap!!!

JoshuaClanton
New Contributor III

Another reason why ArcPro did not live up to its predecessor.

0 Kudos