recommended way of installing geopandas & fiona with arcpy

Jump to solution
09-30-2021 09:15 AM
glw
by
New Contributor III

Im having trouble installing geopandas (w/ fiona)

I have Arcpro 2.8 patch2 - which mentions that installation of geopandas has been fixed. 

glw_0-1633017052386.png

My experience is that after creating the python env clone, using the arcpro gui to install geopandas, fails without error message. Using the Python Command Prompt using "conda install geopandas" succeeds in the installation of geopandas but importing within python fails.

geopandas error:

glw_1-1633017337717.png

fiona error:

glw_2-1633018297805.png

Finally I created an env within the Python Command Prompt with "conda create --name another_env python". Then installed geopandas, and finally arcpy. This installation worked for geopandas but fiona is still not working.

Is there a recommended way to install geopandas and fiona to work along side arcpy?

Thanks!

21 Replies
feralcatcolonist_old
Occasional Contributor II

Pre ArcGIS Pro 3.0; this is the recipe that I used to create a standalone environment with ArcPy and Geopandas within the anaconda command prompt

conda create -n esri python=3.7.11
conda activate esri
conda install -c esri arcpy
conda install -c conda-forge geopandas 
conda install -c conda-forge rtree=0.9.3

Beginning in 3.0 this is what I used; there's an issue with Geopandas so you have to update pyproj afterwards. With 3.0, ArcPy won't import (for me) in a jupyter notebook within VSCode which is a total bummer.

conda create -n esri
conda activate esri
conda install -c esri arcpy
conda install -c conda-forge geopandas 
conda update pyproj

feralcatcolonist_0-1656095169976.png

Likes an array of [cats, gardening, photography]
DarrenConly
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

I installed geopandas after updating to ArcGIS Pro 3.0, and the issue I had above with read_file() has disappeared.

Notably, when I install geopandas, instead of installing fiona 1.8.13, it installs fiona 1.8.21. Also, gdal version in Pro 3.0 is gdal 3.4.0 instead of 3.3.0.

So for what it's worth, updating to Pro 3.0 seems to have fixed the issue for me--though I'm bummed at the prospect that this will likely crop up again when ESRI releases future updates Pro updates.