"Failed to load data" error when opening attribute table in ArcGIS Pro

11-21-2019 04:10 PM
CharlottePeters2
New Contributor III

Hi,

I've gotten the "Failed to load data. Error: Unexpected operation []" error several times when I try to open an attribute in ArcGIS Pro v. 2.4.2 on Windows 10. I haven't been able to figure out any pattern to what is causing the error. I was able to load the attribute table for a dataset one minute and then a few minutes later I get the error when opening the table. I can select the feature and see the attributes in the pop-up dialog and the edit attribute panel. I have no pending edits, no definition query, or any other constraints on the data. Closing and reopening the project does not help. 

Any thoughts or suggestions? 

Thanks, Charlotte

13 Replies
SusanSperbeck
New Contributor II

I do not believe this has anything to do with RAM.  I find that it comes from deleting a row (either from the original Attribute Table or from another layer that you created from the original). I very often make selections and then create a new layer from the selection, then I go about editing that one. One way you can get around this: from the original layer -- goto Data and Export Features to a new layer (the name cannot have spaces).  You should then be able to open the attribute table of the new exported feature layer. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
LingrajPani1
New Contributor

I had 2 feature classes one with object id / ESRI_OID and other without OID, and I noticed the feature classes without a unique ID always failed while loading the entire table. I suspect this error occurs if you don't have unique id for each rows.

You can view attribute of FC without unique ID , if you can zoom to few unique points and  then Map-> Select Rectangle/ Polygon. 

Regards,

Lingraj

WendyPan
New Contributor

I had a similar issue. The view I created from Oracle, and wanted to add into ArcGIS Pro. But there is no unique identifier in this view. It looks it can only upload part of data into ArcGIS pro. If I want to load all of data, the failed message popped up. But no issue in ArcMap 108. BTW, I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.

0 Kudos
Matt-Goodman
Occasional Contributor

I encountered this error trying to open the attribute table to an SDE feature class. I determined that the problem arose because I had applied a table join to the feature class, and the join table was contained within an file geodatabase with a numeric name (i.e. "49.gdb").  The attribute table for the feature class from the file geodatabase had opened just fine on its own, but after I had joined it to the SDE feature class, I could no longer open the SDE attribute table. 

In order to resolve, I had to "remove all" joins and "remove all" relates to reset the fields.