Select to view content in your preferred language

"A column was specified that does not exist"; File GDB point feature class

Jump to solution
04-20-2023 10:07 AM
MichaelMarlatt1
Occasional Contributor

Hello there,

I'm using Pro ver 3.0 currently.  I am having trouble with a point feature class that's not allowing its attribute table to be viewed.  When I click on points I can see what I expect to see in the Pop-up window, but when I try to open the attribute table, or look at it in a Catalog window, I get the message "Failed to load data. A column was specified that does not exist."  Specified by what?  How can I find out what's supposedly missing so I can do something about it?

The feature class in question was created in FME Workbench (I have posted in their forums too) from an excel file.  I have found numerous posts that involve using cursors in Python but I am not sure that helps in this case.  Has anyone figured out how to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

'GROUP' sticks out to me

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Do you have OBJECTIDs?  Might be struggling to query the data without a primary key.  Any potentially reserved SQL or ArcGIS names for the Excel columns?  Did the original data participate in a join and didn't come across? 

MichaelMarlatt1
Occasional Contributor

Yes the OBJECTID column is created by the FME software.  No reserved words that I recognize in the column names and the source data is not in a join.

0 Kudos
RaymondHuang_Sg
Occasional Contributor

Could you share a screenshot of the fieldnames for this feature class?

Cheers,
Raymond
0 Kudos
MichaelMarlatt1
Occasional Contributor

Attached is what I am able to see in Pro's pop-up window when I click on one of the points in the feature class.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

'GROUP' sticks out to me

MichaelMarlatt1
Occasional Contributor

That did it!  I changed 'Group' to something else and the problem went away.  Thank you @DavidPike ! 

What is it about 'Group' that was causing the problem?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Found this for posterity https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/faq-what-are-the-reserved-words-for-esris-file-geodata...

When you open the attribute table it's running a SQL query against the database (FGDB) (I think!).  GROUP is a reserved SQL keyword and probably causing a syntax error which there was no explicit error handling for (considering that FME is an unknown variable).  Just my musings however.

SadieGoodrum
New Contributor

Hello,

I have had this problem before, when you convert the data it creates Multipart input features. This will cause an issue opening the attribute table. you can run a Geoprocessing tool. You use the Muiltpart to Singlepart Geoprocessing tool, this will create a feature class containing Singlepart features. You should be able to open your attribute table after that no problem.