Question about Map Book Series scale bar

04-20-2022 12:11 PM
Zelong
by
New Contributor II

I am making a Map Book series for my city's public parks, using the bookmark function.  My supervisor wants every page in the map book to have the same bar scale ie every bar scale is 0 to 2 miles (as an example).  Everything I have seen so far is that the while I can make the style of bar scale the same for each page, each page's bar scale is going to be different as I am zoomed in at different levels/scales.

Is there a way to have the exact bar scale for each page in the series?  Or are they going to be different for each one as the zoom/scale is different for each park?

5 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

I'm not sure quite what you are asking for here. In a spatial map series, the scale usually changes for each page. As a result, the scale bar has to update to be correct. However, there are things you can keep constant about the scale bar. You can either keep the length of the scale bar constant or you can keep the value shown constant (2 miles, 5 miles, 10 miles, etc).  If you keep the length of the bar constant, the values will change as the scale changes. If you keep the value shown constant, the scale bar length will change as the scale changes.

Both are possible with fitting strategies for scale bars. Learn more about scale bar fitting strategies here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/scale-bars.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_4D49581E0BB54FF29...

Cheers,

Aubri

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
Zelong
by
New Contributor II

In one map the scale is like this:

Zelong_0-1650557442682.png

With a zoom level so it looks like this:

Zelong_2-1650557842788.png

In another map the scale is like this:

Zelong_1-1650557487056.png

With a zoom level like this:

Zelong_3-1650557907694.png

So it is changing from map to map.  

The first map is over 100 arcres while the second park is less than a city block.

So major size difference.  My boss wants them to have the same scale bar as it show the same mile value ie they would both go from 0 to 0.05 miles.  My thinking is that I because I have to zoom in at different levels to get the whole park in that is some that is not going to happen.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Having the scale bar show the same values on each page is possible. The scale bar length will just change for each page because the zoom level changed, it's the only way for it to be accurate.

To get the same values on each page, right-click the scale bar in the Contents pane and choose Properties to open the Element pane.

On the Properties tab, change the Fitting Strategy to Adjust width, then set the size and frequency of the divisions.

AubriKinghorn_0-1650562904683.png

In this example I've created a scale bar that constantly shows 100 miles (2 divisions of 50 miles each). For each page, the length of the scale bar may change but the value will always be 100 miles.

Page 1:

AubriKinghorn_1-1650562977292.png

Page 2

AubriKinghorn_2-1650563011531.png

Hopefully that helps. 

Cheers,

Aubri

Cheers,
Aubri
Zelong
by
New Contributor II

Because this is a mab book series this is what i am getting if try that way:

Zelong_0-1650564127996.png

I cannot adjust the division value.

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

That isn't because it's a map book series, it's because the fitting strategy (the first dropdown) for the scale bar is set to Adjust division value. You need to change it to Adjust width. 

Cheers,
Aubri