Python Script Assistance for Renaming Attachments based on related table field

11-01-2021 11:16 AM
Labels (3)
JessicaJThompson
Occasional Contributor II

Hello! (& Thank you!)           Using ArcGIS Pro 2.8.3

I am wrapping up a survey conducted in survey123, where data was hosted in AGOL. It cannot stay there, and must be downloaded. I have run a test and downloaded the data into a gdb, and I have run the script to batch export the photos (  How To: Batch export attachments from a feature class in ArcMap (esri.com)  ) 

The issue:  the naming of the photo files is long and not user-friendly. Each photo is from the related table of a survey that is surveying houses/properties. The related table has a 'Full_Address' or 'PIN' (parcel ID) field which would be great for the file name.

How would I modify the script to put the PIN or Address from the related table instead of say the ATTACHMENTID ? or ATT_NAME?

Script from link above:

import arcpy
from arcpy import da
import os

inTable = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0)
fileLocation = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1)

with da.SearchCursor(inTable, ['DATA', 'ATT_NAME', 'ATTACHMENTID']) as cursor:
    for item in cursor:
        attachment = item[0]
        filenum = "ATT" + str(item[2]) + "_"
        filename = filenum + str(item[1])
        open(fileLocation + os.sep + filename, 'wb').write(attachment.tobytes())
        del item
        del filenum
        del filename
        del attachment

I have found another resource (below), but my python skills are quite limited at this point and I cannot follow how I would need to adjust what they provide for me to get what I need. 

arcpy - Renaming photo attachments? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange

Thank you again for taking the time to assist!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
HannesZiegler
Esri Contributor

You could do something like this:

originTable = <path>
targetTable = <path>

originData = [row for row in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(originTable, ['DATA', 'ATT_NAME', 'ATTACHMENTID']]
targetData = [row for row in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(targetTable, ['Full_Address', 'PIN']]

for origin_row, target_row in zip(originData, targetData):
    # now do what you did but use target_row[0] or target_row[1] for
    # constructing your filename.

0 Kudos