Problem with ArcGIS Pro failing to georeference when exporting to PDF

Jump to solution
08-15-2019 01:15 PM
HollandYoungman
New Contributor

I'm exporting maps from ArcGIS Pro as pdfs for use in the Avenza app. Recently, the maps are showing up as "not referenced" in that app - even though I'm specifying that the georeferencing be maintained when exported from Pro. I can make the same map in ArcMap, export it as a pdf and open it up in Avenza as a referenced map. Has anyone else been having this issue? Or care to share some advice? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KeithStickwood
New Contributor

In order for Avenza Maps to be able to read the georeferencing, the "Output as Image" check box has to be unchecked on the export dialog (see screenshot). Avenza is aware of the issue and is working to address it.

Maintaining PDF georeferencing in ArcGIS Pro

View solution in original post

10 Replies
KeithStickwood
New Contributor

In order for Avenza Maps to be able to read the georeferencing, the "Output as Image" check box has to be unchecked on the export dialog (see screenshot). Avenza is aware of the issue and is working to address it.

Maintaining PDF georeferencing in ArcGIS Pro

HollandYoungman
New Contributor

Thank you! That worked

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you very much. It worked for me as well. 

I unchecked output as image, changed image compression to adaptive and checked export georeferenced information. 

0 Kudos
CassieGabalis
New Contributor

I am having the same issue with exporting a PDF from ArcGIS Pro 3.0 to Avenza Maps. I ensured 'Output as image' was unchecked, Image compression set to 'Adaptive', and 'Export georef. info.' checked. It is still showing as 'Map not referenced' on Avenza. Would any other factor be causing this?

0 Kudos
SeanSmith111
New Contributor II

Hi Cassie, 

I had an issue where suddenly my maps displayed the 'map not referenced' error. I remembered that I was using a custom CRS. Once I changed that back to EPSG:4326 (for example only... not saying you have to!) it worked again.

Interestingly enough, when I exported as a TIFF with the GeoTIFF tags turned on, and using a custom CRS, I could load the geotiff into Avenza.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having the same issue after updating to ArcGIS Pro 2.6.2, and get the error "could not read PDF referencing" in Avenza. Output as image is not selected.

JoshuaOneill
New Contributor

I was having similar issues with a really large map (large file size ~30mb). 

Checking "Compress vector graphics" seemed to work for me. 

Good luck!

LukeWestphal
New Contributor

Checking "Compress vector graphics" also worked for me.  I already had unchecked "Output as image" and was still getting "could not read PDF referencing" on Avenza.  Thanks for solving my problem!

0 Kudos
DavidCurtis
New Contributor II

If all else fails, restart your tablet.

I've always used the settings identified in the solutions below and just went through this problem. I was using the tablet (Samsung) yesterday to collect points and today when I fired up Avenza, every single map I had loaded said it wasn't referenced despite having used them hundreds of times. A simple reboot fixed the problem, but this points out how glaringly awful Avenza's become.

I won't point out the numerous issues I've had with each succeeding update in the last two years but it's becoming nearly unusable. Too bad, it used to be great.