Select to view content in your preferred language

Problem Snapping Lines to Points

08-18-2023 02:10 PM
AlexVerville
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

What I am trying to do is automate snapping the end vertex of my line to a point without changing the shape of the line (I want the whole line to shift). I am trying to do this with the Snap tool (Editing Tools) but am not getting the results that I want. When I try to snap the line to only 1 point, it erases the geometry and I lose the line entirely. When I try to snap to 2 points, I lose the shape of my line. Is what I am trying to do possible with the Snap geoprocessing tool, or do I need to look for another solution?

Here's some background on what I'm trying to do for context. I have upstream and downstream points for linear structures along a watercourse. I snapped the points to the watercourse, and used Split Line at Point (Data Management Tools) to create a line between the 2 points that is the same shape as the watercourse. Now I want to move these lines so that the end vertex aligns with the original location of downstream point. 

Screenshots: 

I want to snap the purple line to the dark orange point (downstream point). If I try to snap to only this point though, the geometry of the feature is erased. 

AlexVerville_1-1692392135521.png

This is the result when I try to snap to both the upstream (light orange) and downstream points. Btw the upstream point is not snapped to the line, it is just very close. 

AlexVerville_2-1692392414180.png

Here is my geoprocessing window for the Snap tool. 300m was the snap distance for snapping the points to the watercourse initially so I am using the same for snapping the line back to the original point. I am iterating through 1 set of points at a time so I don't need to worry about it snapping to the wrong point. 

AlexVerville_3-1692392775655.png

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2

Thank you in advance.

2 Replies
AliaK
by
New Contributor

Hi, @AlexVerville

if you select the line and go to the editing tab you will see under the 'tools' section a tool named 'edit vertices' this will allow you to snap the points and lines together manually while keeping the curvy line.

hope this helps 🙂 

0 Kudos
AlexVerville
Occasional Contributor

My question is specifically about automating it. I am basically looking to replicate the Move editing tool since I do not want to reshape the line.

0 Kudos