PRO Package Project - Database not found message

06-19-2020 10:24 AM
JeanetteHarlow1
New Contributor III

I am packaging a project to a file in PRO.  But the packaging is failing.

I analyse the project before packaging and it does not turn up any errors. 

The packaging process runs fine for about 6 minutes and then I get a message "failed to package".

The message log says "the database was not found".  I am unsure what database the error is referring to so am not sure how to move forward.  It's a bit vague.  

I have gone through all my maps and everything seems in order.

Is anyone familiar with this problem and how to move forward?

**EDIT**  I have tried to "Upload package to Online account" rather than save as a file.  I also eliminated layers, one by one, to determine if there was a bad file that impeded the packaging.  These did not yield any positive outcomes.  I am still getting a failed message.

18 Replies
nabaz-gharib
Occasional Contributor

Hi @JackS-T 

If you have not found a solution for the issue, please check this post, there is a workaround.

PRO Package Project - Dataset not found message - Esri Community

GregoryRoland
New Contributor

I have same issue, tried many things, no resolution.  GP tool runs successfully in ArcMap 10.2.2 but unable share as pkg or publish.  The tool creates a GDB locally, generates a layer, layer can be viewed in ArcMap as expected.  All looks normal.  Esri's share tools cannot find the database, or at least that's what it says.  I changed the database name (simplified), changed its location.  Very basic stuff here, except I'm on older version.  

0 Kudos
nabaz-gharib
Occasional Contributor

hi @JeanetteHarlow1 

If you have not found a solution for the issue, please check this post, there is a workaround.

PRO Package Project - Dataset not found message - Esri Community

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I saw this error 2 weeks ago and resolved it by deleting the Geoprocessing History from the project, doing a save, then ran the Project Package GP tool.  It created the *.ppkx local on disk without any problem.

0 Kudos
nabaz-gharib
Occasional Contributor

I tried that step, too, but did not fix the issue. The good thing about arcpy way is gives a comprehensive message on fail.

Richard_Stokes
New Contributor II

It seems as though even if you exclude toolboxes from the package, Pro will still attempt to process them.

I had a project where I'd verified every data source yet still produced the 'database not found' error.  Attempting to share the project package as a template threw up a new set of errors showing that it had found invalid data sources in some temporary models in my default toolbox.  I had to delete all the models which didn't work anymore to get it to package properly.

Esri, please exclude toolboxes from the packaging process if the option is selected.

KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you - I don't want to "accept as solution" on behalf of the OP but your suggestion was true in my case. I had unchecked "Include Toolboxes" but had a couple of models used at an early stage that held reference to data and locations no longer available. It seems that checkbox does not work.

0 Kudos
pwilliams18Williams
New Contributor II

I Agree with @KatyAppleton1 - this fixed my problem as well! Thanks for the solution. 

0 Kudos
Eliash
by
New Contributor II

I have the same problem with the latest ArcGIS Pro version. I get the error message "ErrorMessage: The database was not found." without any explanation.

0 Kudos