Pro not classifying ground in las file

05-20-2022 08:19 AM
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Hello all,

I have a las file from a sUAS flight that fails to classify anything as ground. Running the standard or aggressive ground classification returns everything still unclassified. I can manually classify everything as it's a small enough project but would like to understand what I am doing wrong. Can a las file be locked in some fashion?

The las, tif and prj (local projection) can be found in https://gis.gilacountyaz.gov/webdata/RGLF19May2022.zip if you would like to see the data. At ~860m it's a bit too big to attach. The data defects in the lower right corner is me flying too low over the adjacent landfill cell (that I am not concerned about) to get adequate overlap for processing.

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I wanted to update this in question in case others had the problem in the future. The root cause of this problem that I have seen so far is that I was running a second instance of Pro and doing the classification in a las dataset. It appears that the lasd might have a problem with the second instance of Pro running where using just the las file does not.

As a work around I have a few options:

1 - Create a new map in my primary instance of pro which allows the used of las datasets

2 - To use a second instance of pro, and if you only have a single las file, do not place the las file in a lasd just add it to the map and then perform the classification.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
mmb_38923
New Contributor

Tom, I am having the same issue where nothing but 1 point is classified as ground. However, I don't understand your resolution. I only have 1 Pro project open. 

I have tried running the 'Classify LAS Ground' tool on both the original .las file and the .lasd file, but get the same issue of no ground classification for either. How did you get the classification to work? Thanks!

0 Kudos