Select to view content in your preferred language

Pro hangs with LivingAtlasCategories on startup

Jump to solution
04-17-2019 11:50 AM
roemhildtg
Frequent Contributor

Every time I open pro - it hangs on the task GetPortalsLivingAtlasCategories for about 2-3 minutes before I can do anything. I don't have any maps open, I don't have anything open in fact, other than the catelog when this happens.

Is there any way to disable this or prevent it from running unless its needed?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I've spoken with a developer over here and we think we know what is happening and a fix has been put in place for Pro 2.4.  It looks like those calls are happening on the main thread which would block the rest of the application from running if those are really slow.  So they've been moved to the background.  Anyway, can't be 100% that is what is happening, but certainly sounds related to this issue that we were looking at.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

We have the exact same, frustrating problem, but not "every" time. For example, it was 3-5 minutes early this week, and GetPortalsLivingAtlasCategories was the culprit, but today it's 1-ish minutes to open, with random "instant opens".  #02279274 When executing "Activate Catalog View" in Task Assistant, Pro 2.3 locks up. Closed with "Issue was network related.", which is incorrect, but with non reproducible cases like that, there's usually no path to a successful resolution. The analyst identified GetPortalsLivingAtlasCategories as where the hang was occurring. The fact that multiple orgs are now experiencing this lend more support to it NOT being network related. I'm going to stand up a Pro install on an Amazon instance (which I've recently discovered is a great way for myself and the analyst to both be testing in the same environment: I can grant them access) and will contemplate re-opening this case while I spend an entire 3-day weekend fixing plumbing. How frustrated I get with soldering pipes and losing PEX compression rings will indicate my willingness to roll up my sleeves with TS on a non-reproable issue. I am philosophically opposed to calling TS with cases they can't repro, and I've had a recent string of those, and a few that were in near-non-repro territory for a long while, wasting the analyst time.  Gregg Roemhildt‌ if you want to open a new case, which might be a good idea since you might have a slightly different environment, reference 02279274 and ask for "Danny R". Keep us posted! If you do open a case, one thing I suggest you do that we didn't do is do a Wireshark trace (not Fiddler, important distinction), and bring in a network analyst (your end) to definitively rule out "Network Related". ESRI may also have a "test" portal that you can connect to and they can run wireshark on their end, maybe? I have done that on cases past, but as of now, I don't have a WAN engineer handy.  Another note in my case the problem was specifically related to using Task Assistant Manger, where I could repro it every time, and not on start up, where I can't consistently repro it. A few more details would  help to. I've seen "unable to even use Pro" when users with Roaming Profiles (where their My Docs is on a network share) and the Pro default stuff is going on the share, as well as the number of PTL/AGOL groups a user is a member having an impact on start up time. 

I too wonder why GetPortalsLivingAtlasCategories is "needed". Perhaps if it's "desired" some checkbox can turn it on, but for the rest of us whom need to get work done, and not stare at spinning blue circles all day, leave it off. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I've spoken with a developer over here and we think we know what is happening and a fix has been put in place for Pro 2.4.  It looks like those calls are happening on the main thread which would block the rest of the application from running if those are really slow.  So they've been moved to the background.  Anyway, can't be 100% that is what is happening, but certainly sounds related to this issue that we were looking at.  

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Great! Kory, do the developers have a bug bounty? If so, mark a bug on that case and label it as "implemented"?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

As long as they're not getting credit for fixing bugs that were their code in the first place?!   That could get out of hand.

0 Kudos
roemhildtg
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I did find out the cause of the issue - It looks like I had an old portal referenced in Arc  Pro. I had forgotten about it and had not removed it and so this call was trying to contact the portal and get these categories even though the portal didn't exist anymore. I'm glad the devs are putting a fix in to the hanging though I could see the issue coming up with any slow connection to a portal as it does hang the main thread.

Thanks Kory!