Pro 2.9.2 crashing when clicking on a symbol or opening the symbology window

Jump to solution
09-22-2022 01:45 PM
PiperMcKinnon1
New Contributor III

Starting mid-day today all users in our organization are experiencing crashes of Pro 2.9.2 when we attempt any interaction with symbology, whether by clicking in the Contents pane or opening the Symbology pane. We have tried some fixes found in older posts and bug reports, including changing the rendering engine to OpenGL, clearing the display cache and running a repair, all to no avail. We will look into whether there have been OS or network changes next, but are wondering if anyone else is seeing this issue appear.

104 Replies
LudekVystyd
New Contributor II

My work is complex too, and my clients want results, not excuses. It is not first time when automatic windows updates broke something. Really don´t uderstand, why ESRI don´t  test basic functionality after updates. Especially when the first questin from support when problems occur is "do you have updated windows, if not get out".

RogerDunnGIS
Occasional Contributor II

Esri is having a hard time merely reproducing the issue, so how could they have warned us?  I could be wrong, but I don't think Microsoft gives all vendors a chance to preview all of their Windows and .NET Updates to see if it breaks anything in any software written by said vendors.  I think Microsoft just releases them on their own schedule.  Because Windows and .NET are black box components, developers can't delve into them to see how they do what they do.  Microsoft hopes that by changing and fixing such components on the inside, that existing software will continue to work well, since they merely call the functions that have been fixed.

I, too, want results and for ArcGIS Pro to stop crashing so I can do my work.  Therefore, I provide them with information about the bug and my system setup.  I applaud Esri for the tens of thousands of days I have used ArcGIS without issue, and do not blame them for something slipping through the cracks in a system as complex as theirs.  Don't treat Esri like the Giant's Fred Snodgrass, a baseball player with a great career, lots of career bests and a great hitter, but is only known for dropping a fly ball during the 1912 World Series.

Please provide more information to Esri in this thread.  You might provide some of the common elements you are seeing in machines experiencing this issue as well as the common elements in machines not experiencing this issue.  It appears that 3.0.2 is not experiencing this issue; just those of us on 2.9.x.  Maybe in your complex work you can identify the exact DLL, .NET component, interface, or even Python library which changed between August and September which is causing the crash, and send that information to Esri.  It's this kind of information that helps in a forum such as this.

RogerDunnGIS

ArcGIS Pro is only recommending I update to 3.0.0, which we can't do yet.  I'll get 2.9.4 from my.esri.com and report back.

I've submitted my report using the Esri Experience dialog, but for users viewing this post, here are details from September:

Quality Updates:

KB5017266 (installed 9/23/2022)

KB5017380 (installed 9/23/2022)

KB5017308 (installed 9/13/2022)

KB5017500 (installed 9/13/2022)

KB5016592 (installed 9/2/2022)

KB5016688 (installed 9/2/2022)

My system has .NET 4.8.1 installed.  I am running with an Intel Core i7 CPU @ 2.90 GHz, 48 GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, Version 21H2, build 19044.2075, Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0.  My system isn't a virtual one.  Anti-virus deployed by IT department is Sophos.

0 Kudos
RogerDunnGIS

Unfortunately, the upgrade to 2.9.4 did not fix the problem.  Clicking a symbol from anywhere loads the list of symbols and then promptly crashes.  I only know that 4.8.1 is installed because trying to install that run-time tells me that it's already installed.

MarkJacobi1
New Contributor III

Thanks. I can't upgrade to a new version of Pro, so I'll need to keep following this thread. 

LudekVystyd
New Contributor II

Downloading 4.8.1 version of .NET from dotnet.microsoft.com worked for me. Do not forget to disable automatic updates.  Problem is in KB5017858 update.

RogerDunnGIS

That was a good post.  Is your machine running Windows 21H1 or 21H2?  I'm on the latter and I do not see KB5017858 in my Windows Update history.

0 Kudos
MattRummel
New Contributor II

Installing Net Framework 4.8.1 resolved the issue for us.

0 Kudos
TomasPokorny
New Contributor III

yes, for one day. Working solution with .NET 4.8.1 installation was overcharged with new cumulative .NET Framework updates (KB5017500 and KB5018545) and ArcGIS Pro keeps crashing again. So waiting for 2.9.5 update with repairs.

0 Kudos
RogerDunnGIS

An article I found said that, in order to list what versions of .NET I had installed, I had to launch the CLI and then run "dotnet --list-runtimes"  I am unable to find a "dotnet" directory on my C: drive to run the CLI..  The DOS command "dir /ahds /s dotnet" also yielded nothing.  I'm not sure how to find my runtimes, but as I said in an earlier post, when I tried to install 4.8.1, it said it was already installed.

I went to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > "Turn Windows features on or off", and all I see are nodes for ".NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)" and ".NET Framework 4.8 Advanced Services."  The only child node that is checked under 4.8 is "WCF Services > TCP Port Sharing".  .NET does not show up as a program under Programs and Features.  Am I supposed to have any other services turned on?

Since I have custom symbols in ArcGIS Pro, I decided to delete %appdata%\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Favorites.stylx but that did not fix the problem.  A new one was created, though, so I deleted that one and restored my old one from the Recycle Bin.  It has a last modified date of 9/20/2022, which is when ArcGIS Pro's symbol window started crashing.

When I go into Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application, I find the following entry.  I apologize that it is so long.

Application: ArcGISPro.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentNullException
   at System.Linq.Expressions.Expression.New(System.Reflection.ConstructorInfo, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<System.Linq.Expressions.Expression>)
   at ArcGIS.Desktop.Internal.Mapping.CommonControls.VirtualizingWrapPanel.Reflection_ItemsChangedEventArgs_Constructor(System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedAction, System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.GeneratorPosition, Int32, Int32)
   at ArcGIS.Desktop.Internal.Mapping.CommonControls.VirtualizingWrapPanel.ShouldItemsChangeAffectLayoutCore(Boolean, System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ItemsChangedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Controls.VirtualizingPanel.OnItemsChangedInternal(System.Object, System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ItemsChangedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Panel.OnItemsChanged(System.Object, System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ItemsChangedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Controls.ItemContainerGenerator.OnItemAdded(System.Object, Int32, System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Controls.ItemContainerGenerator.OnCollectionChanged(System.Object, System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.WeakEventManager+ListenerList`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].DeliverEvent(System.Object, System.EventArgs, System.Type)
   at System.Windows.WeakEventManager.DeliverEvent(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
   at System.Collections.ObjectModel.ReadOnlyObservableCollection`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].OnCollectionChanged(System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs)
   at System.Collections.ObjectModel.ObservableCollection`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].OnCollectionChanged(System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs)
   at System.Collections.ObjectModel.ObservableCollection`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].InsertItem(Int32, System.__Canon)
   at MS.Internal.Data.CollectionViewGroupInternal.Insert(System.Object, System.Object, System.Collections.IComparer)
   at MS.Internal.Data.CollectionViewGroupRoot.AddToSubgroups(System.Object, MS.Internal.Data.LiveShapingItem, MS.Internal.Data.CollectionViewGroupInternal, Int32, Boolean)
   at MS.Internal.Data.CollectionViewGroupRoot.AddToSubgroups(System.Object, MS.Internal.Data.LiveShapingItem, MS.Internal.Data.CollectionViewGroupInternal, Int32, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Data.ListCollectionView.AddItemToGroups(System.Object, MS.Internal.Data.LiveShapingItem)
   at System.Windows.Data.ListCollectionView.ProcessCollectionChangedWithAdjustedIndex(System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs, Int32, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Data.CollectionView.ProcessChangeLog(System.Collections.ArrayList, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Data.CollectionView.ProcessInvoke(System.Object)
   at MS.Internal.Data.DataBindEngine.ProcessCrossThreadRequests()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at <Module>.main(System.String[])

The log entry has the following properties:

Log Name: Application

Source: .NET Runtime

Event ID: 1026

Level: Error

User: N/A

OpCode: info

More information: Event Log Online Help

Logged: 10/4/2022 8:46:15 AM

Task Category: None

Keywords: Classic

Computer: (my computer's name and domain)

0 Kudos