Preset Template from Selected Features

Jump to solution
03-20-2018 07:04 AM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have some custom tools in .NET that we use in ArcMap 10.2 that I am hoping I can get rid of by using templates in ArcPro.  I am following the instructions here:  Create a preset template—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

What I want to do is create the mainline connection (a point snapping to the watermain), the hydrant service line (line) and the hydrant (point snapping to the end of the service line) using a 'Preset Template from Selected Features'.  Following the instructions above, I am using an existing feature, select all of the features in the order of digitizing, and then go to 'New' - 'Preset Template from Selected Features' but that option is grayed out.  The only option available to me is 'Group Template' which doesn't seem to do what I want.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianBulla

Hi,

So it appears that using the "Group Template" feature will do what I want.  The process of creating the template is a bit finicky, but I was able finally create a Hydrant with a lateral line and a service connection, which I can snap to an existing watermain, and orient it in anyway I want.  A much better solution than the 'Preset Template from Selected Features'

Just thought I would post in case anyone else was trying to figure it out too.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrianBulla

OK, well I kind of have this working.  I'm not sure what I did differently, but I again selected all of the features and now the 'Preset Template from Selected Features' is enabled, so I was able to to create a template that basically creates what I want, but with some issues.  Here are the main problems:

1.  When I click on the new template the feature created is EXACTLY the same as the one I 'cloned'.  In reality the distance between the connection and the hydrant would never be the same, nor would the bearing from the hydrant to the connection.  Basically all I can do with this new template is recreate what I had previously selected when making the template.  Is there a way to just click where I want the connection (1st point), click where I want the hydrant (2nd point), then have everything just draw in??  That is what my .NET tool does.  I was hoping the templates could do this for me.

2  All of the default attributes of the new feature are the same as the originally selected feature, but there does appear to be a fix for that.

3.  The new feature will not snap to anything.  The cursor will snap to features, but the endpoint that has the service connection will not snap to the watermain.

Any advice on how to get customize this to get the results I'm looking for??

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Brian,

I'll respond to your points above.

1. Preset templates represent the features at the time of capture. They are in fixed positions that cant be dynamically altered. Once created, the features are not associated with each other in terms of moving them.

For your use case, you'll have to use a custom tool.

In the future, 'attribute rules' may be able to help by creating other features in response to a feature you create. e.g. create a hydrant line and then automatically create all the other stuff in between.

2. Attributes are pre defined in the preset templates from the selected features. You can over-ride these and use other values through the active template pane (blue arrow) when creating the features

3. Snapping for presets currently occurs at the mouse. In the near future you'll be able to set the snap point(s) in the preset template.

BrianBulla

Thanks Sean.  I do remember that at previous ESRI Conferences, seminars, etc. that doing what I want to do is possible.  Is this sort of functionality doable through another ESRI product....ArcFM maybe is what I am thinking of??

0 Kudos
AnantThunuguntla
New Contributor III

Hi Brian, It looks like you are on the Group layer node in Manage Templates, if you click on WAT_Hydrant layer, and then open the menu, you should be able to access the command to create new preset template.

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi Anant,

Yes, it looks like we were both replying to this topic at the same time, so you may have missed my second post.

I was able to create the 'Preset Template from Selected Features', but it isn't totally working the way I expected.  Please check back and read my comment.  Hopefully you have some ideas for me to get this working the way I want.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi,

So it appears that using the "Group Template" feature will do what I want.  The process of creating the template is a bit finicky, but I was able finally create a Hydrant with a lateral line and a service connection, which I can snap to an existing watermain, and orient it in anyway I want.  A much better solution than the 'Preset Template from Selected Features'

Just thought I would post in case anyone else was trying to figure it out too.

0 Kudos