Select to view content in your preferred language

Pop-up UNC Link Not Working

Jump to solution
01-25-2024 06:48 AM
WilliamCole
Occasional Contributor

I have a field in the Attribute Table for a Feature Class [FC] that contains a UNC value that points to a word processed file. The field is called WriteUp and is a text field with a length of 100.

Taking instruction from this ESRI web page  I entered the UNC for the word processed file into that field. The UNC points to a locally networked NAS box.

To make sure that I had permission to access this I entered the UNC into Windows File Explorer and was able to properly access the file.

In the ArcGIS Pro pane Configure Pop-ups for this FC I entered a Text element, edited that element using the Hyperlink dialog and entered {WriteUp}, where WriteUp is the name of the field that I want to access in the Attribute Table.

On opening the Pop-up the hyperlinked text field displayed the correct UNC but was unable to open the link by clicking on it. When mousing-over the field, the absence of the hand cursor seems to indicate that the link is not available.

I have another field in the same Attribute Table called Content which contains a URL for a web site. I built its Pop-up text entry in exactly the same way as the WriteUp Pop-up entry. This works just fine.

Here's a screen shot of the Pop-up.

2024-01-25_09-45-15.png

Clues would be very welcome.  Thank you.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

If you want to show the full path to the file, in the text element, you choose the {WriteUp} field:

RhettZufelt_0-1706197357400.png

Then, select it and click the hyperlink button.  Then, for the URL, enter file:\\\{WriteUp}. 

RhettZufelt_2-1706197457324.png

Same process if you want to show something other than filename as the link.  This one, I put "Click for File" as example.

RhettZufelt_3-1706198091445.png

Which gives you:

RhettZufelt_4-1706198120508.png

Both of which are clickable links to the file.

R_

View solution in original post

5 Replies
WilliamCole
Occasional Contributor

Running ArcGIS Pro v 3.2.1 under Windows 10 22H2.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

If you want to show the full path to the file, in the text element, you choose the {WriteUp} field:

RhettZufelt_0-1706197357400.png

Then, select it and click the hyperlink button.  Then, for the URL, enter file:\\\{WriteUp}. 

RhettZufelt_2-1706197457324.png

Same process if you want to show something other than filename as the link.  This one, I put "Click for File" as example.

RhettZufelt_3-1706198091445.png

Which gives you:

RhettZufelt_4-1706198120508.png

Both of which are clickable links to the file.

R_

WilliamCole
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for this information.  Learn somethings didn't know.

When I applied the technique shown in your response, I did not get a clickable Pop-up entry.  The screen shot below lays out how I assembled this. 

1. Entered the UNC in the Attribute Table's WriteUp column.
  2. Then in the Configure Pop-ups pane using the Hyperlink button entered as shown.
  3. Finally, the Pop-up itself shows the correct UNC but it is not clickable.

2024-01-26_16-30-21.png

Just to be sure that I had this right I copied the UNC from the Pop-up and then pasted into the address bar of my browser.  I was able to open the file.  I am stumped.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

In the Configure Pop-ups text option, type WriteUp: and select/highlight it.

RhettZufelt_0-1706305558253.png

While the text is still selected, click the hyperlink button:

RhettZufelt_1-1706305613143.png

Enter file:\\\{WriteUp} in the URL box and hit Apply:

RhettZufelt_2-1706305772903.png

If it is a valid UNC path in the WriteUp field (as you show above), it should open that file when you click on it.

R_

0 Kudos
WilliamCole
Occasional Contributor

I tested the file:\\\ method with a local C: drive file and was able to open the file from the Pop-up.

I then tested this again with a file from a networked device and was not able to open the file from the Pop-up.  I'm guessing this is telling me that I have a network permissions problem somewhere.  Where, though, is the question.

0 Kudos