Select to view content in your preferred language

Poor trace performance when creating/modifying features in ArcGIS Pro 3.0?

Jump to solution
07-08-2022 01:19 PM
Labels (1)
wayfaringrob
Honored Contributor

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced very slow tracing since updating to ArcGIS Pro 3.0? Every time I go to create a new feature with the trace tool, I'll click on my first snapped point, move the mouse, and wait ages for the dashed line to show up if at all. I often trace roadway features which usually requires a lot of zooming, panning, and detangling, and the lag persists during all of this as well. Because of how long it takes for the dashed feature line to appear, I originally thought tracing was just broken altogether; it seems it's just very slow in 3.0.

Has anyone else come across this?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@wayfaringrob I followed up on the case and it looks like there was a missing spatial index causing performance problems. In a future release there are plans to improve the ability in diagnosing these types of performance problems from within the software.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Honored Contributor

nice! In the meantime if anyone comes across this -- check the spatial index of ALL layers in your map, even if it's not one that you're editing, snapping to, or even have turned on. In my case I had a reference layer that just happened to be in my map that was causing issues and building a spatial index solved the problem.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @wayfaringrob 

We haven't heard that feedback about Pro 3.0.

Maybe clearing the cache or some of the other performance tips listed in this article will help? - https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-documents/troubleshooting-performance-issues-in-arcgis-pro/...

One tip: only snappable layers are traceable, perhaps checking off some layers in List By Snapping in Contents pane would help?

Scott_Harris_0-1659967189839.png

If you continue to experience performance issues with snapping, please consider sharing your workflow and some sample data that reproduces the issue with Esri Technical Support.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Honored Contributor

Any other reports of this happening? I've done a complete reinstallation of Pro and still face this issue from project to project, dataset to dataset. It becomes unusably slow whenever I'm actively tracing a feature -- see below.

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@wayfaringrob No, we have not received feedback about Trace performance in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. What you show in the video is unacceptable performance and requires further investigation. Have you reached out to Esri Technical Support? If so, is there a case number that we can investigate/follow?

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Honored Contributor

Thanks for confirming. I haven't had the time to work through a support case but it does seem that that is the last remaining option; I had our IT look at my graphics drivers and everything today and we cannot figure out the issue. I've opened an Esri ticket.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@wayfaringrob I followed up on the case and it looks like there was a missing spatial index causing performance problems. In a future release there are plans to improve the ability in diagnosing these types of performance problems from within the software.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Honored Contributor

nice! In the meantime if anyone comes across this -- check the spatial index of ALL layers in your map, even if it's not one that you're editing, snapping to, or even have turned on. In my case I had a reference layer that just happened to be in my map that was causing issues and building a spatial index solved the problem.

casjone
New Contributor

i've experienced the same thing in 3.3. i'm going to check spatial indexes now though.

0 Kudos